If you were stranded on a desert island....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
and you were forced to choose only one style of beer to drink or brew for the rest of your life, what style/brand or recipe would it be?

I’ll start. Pilsner without a doubt. I love a good pilz w it’s floral Saaz. Sure, I’d miss a good fruity pale or an amber but if I had to choose one- Pilz.

I would want about 20 kegs of good ol' Bud lite..I wouldn't feel bad dumping the beer or be tempted to drink it in order fight off dehydration. I'd then build a raft out of the empty kegs and set sail to the next island, where I'd be stranded with Saisons :bott: (sours can be included in the saison family to, right??)

I didn’t think of building a raft out of the kegs. But if you had good beer in the kegs, you could take your sweet time and enjoy the beer. And I’m not sure I’d be in that much of a hurry to return. Sure, I’d miss my family but a couple of extra weeks to build a raft might not be a bad thing.

Kölsch might be my second pick. I live down the street from Occidental brewing and they make a good Kölsch.

If this is a Desert Island, how would you be keeping said beer cold? Thought of warm pils not to mention I dont think they age well.

I'd go for something like a brown or porter or maybe something hearty like a barley wine or braggot. More tolerable at warmer temps. At least they have a high caloric intake and could act as a food source and the higher alc. content coud be used as a food preservative or processing agent.

Although the question I think you were meaning is what beer could I drink forever? London porter, scotch ale, maybe even a cream ale.

A nice English bitter second choice would be a workman's draught... Either would have to be as cold as my mother in law's heart.

Sent from my phone, if there are typo's please don't moan

I’m not familiar with workman’s draught. Is that similar to an English Mild or BMC?
First had to look up BMC (commercial "light" lager) nope closer to an English mild I'd say but even closer would be an Ausie style mild

Sent from my phone, if there are typo's please don't moan

I like Becks too..... it was the only beer I drank for 3 years in the Balkans.... But I am going to have to stray from the guidelines and go with Bacardi 151 rum..... quick drunk, antiseptic properties and good for starting signal fires!

I would go for saison myself. However, saisons these days are a fairly "open" style (meaning you can do almost anything with them), so, if I had to pick a more specific style I would probably go with English Bitter.

A strong golden Belgian ale.
A beer for any time of the year and tastes great with a lot of different types of food.
Can still taste very good after a few years in the bottle.

Back