If you were stranded in the mid-east with no liquid yeast which would you bring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredhead

Reaction score
In Jerusalem we have a wonderful LHBS, but the yeast selection is limited to dry Safale yeasts. If I get my hands on some vials, I have a stir plate so I figure I can resuscitate semi old ones, then harvest from the trub.

My question is, if I have someone visiting which yeasts are most essential?

At this point I don't brew any one style, so I'd be interested in the most varied versatile yeast.

Thanks.

Honestly, I think dry Safale yeasts cover "versatile" yeasts pretty well already. If it were me, I'd want to grab something a little more unique in that situation. Depending on what you brew: Maybe a Belgian yeast. Maybe some brett. Hell, if you can get it, there's no knocking some homegrown Conan. And don't forget the option of making starters from available bottle conditioned beers.

First of all be careful smuggling microorganisms into a country.

If I had access to S-05 already then I would load up on wlp002, 007, 830, 500 and 530. That would keep me happy for a long time.

If you make any cider, then I would recommend White Labs 775. I also think Wyeast 3711 French Saison is a phenomenal yeast. I mention these yeasts specifically b/c they are two I can think of that I have used more than once, that have no real good dry yeast equivalent.

Back