If you were gifted $100,000...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd redo my kitchen and my upstairs bathroom, and use the rest of it to take a vacation :ban:

I'd buy a cheap used SUV for cash (need something bigger to haul kids + girlfriend + dog when we get one), and invest the rest. I'd keep it liquid enough that if I needed it for a down payment on a house in a few years I'd have it available for that, since I had to sell the house in the divorce and currently rent.

But my big life goal right now is to pour as much income into savings/investments as I can stomach, to make up for the years of being married to a spendthrift who spent every dollar we had and more.

I'd spend it on fast cars and loose women.

Wait, that's two things... OK, just the loose women.

I tell you what I'd do...

Well played sir!

100k doesn't go that far long term unless you're on pretty stable footings already. If money is a significant stress in life then making sure your savings are solid should be step one.

But, there are things other than cash investments that pay big dividends too!

Take your wife on her dream vacation and stay married and talking about it for the next 40 years.

Put a pool and a fridge full of juice boxes in the back yard and get all your kids' friends hanging out at your safe and responsible home in the summers instead of finding trouble somewhere else.

Add on a mother-in-law's wing to the house and bring your parents to your place instead of the retirement home when the time comes.

Set up a scholarship for a summer leadership camp and ask for essays about the one thing they would change in the world if they could.

Back