If you opened a brewpub, what recipes would you serve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
Just for fun, if yo opened a brewpub, and had 6taps for house brewed beers...what would you pick? you also would have various commercial beers available but we'll leave those listed somewhere else.

Its hard to pick but off the top of my head i think i would probably do something like:
1. BM's Centential Blonde Ale
2. Dudes Lake Walk Pale Ale
3. Dennys bourbon vanilla imperial porter(without the bourbon, maybe without the vanilla)
4. Bradsuls munich oatmeal stout
5. Some IPA, not sure what i would i pick. Probably something leaning towards balanced instead of extreme bitter
6. Some fruit wheat or wit

I think it'd be a good idea to have some sort of nut brown ale in there. That's a nice drinkable style.

BrewPub is acctually in the begining stages as I am a HBing culinary student with a spice trading business right now... (Check Out Link Below!)

We Plan To Offer The Following:

1.) White Bison - American Wheat [Blue Moon Style]
2.) Red River Ale - Dry Hopped Ale
3.) Some Sort of Light Lager/Blonde Ale
4.) The Mule - Amber Ale
5.) Black Wolf - Chocolate Stout
6.) Seasonal Variety

Menu is already created too....

P.S. All descriptions can be found at the above link! Let us know what you think

:mug:

I think it'd be a good idea to have some sort of nut brown ale in there. That's a nice drinkable style.

Word up. Also, no IPAs, they're so played.

1. APA or amber
2. nut brown
3. belgian ipa
4. peach cream ale
5. american stout
6. bohemian pils

Word up. Also, no IPAs, they're so played.

1. APA or amber
2. nut brown
3. belgian ipa
4. peach cream ale
5. american stout
6. bohemian pils

Haha- I love IPAs but can't stand fruit beers. So I'd do a similar list, but take out the peach beer and add an IPA. I'd probably have:

1. American Amber (Red)
2. Brown, either American or Northern English
3. Stout- probably an oatmeal stout
4. Cream ale or CAP
5. IPA
6. Seasonal lager- Maibock, Oktoberfest, Dopplebock, etc.

The more important factor is location. What are other brewpubs serving in your area? Don't serve that stuff, or at least offer an interesting interpretation of the same style that will stand out.

This is an awesome thread. I have thought this over so many times.

On tap year round
Kolsch
Porter
IPA
Southern English Brown
Arrogant Bastardish type thing

Seasonal Beers depending on time of year
Tripel
IIPA
Various india black ales, brown ales..etc..etc..

At least in the Northwest, having an IPA on the menu is almost at the point of having a burger on the menu; you have to serve it or you won't survive. German pubs are real popular here too, I'd definately have to hit the sell-out button in my joint.

An Oktoberfest Beer, on the more orange side of the color spectrum.
An evenly balanced IPA, to appease the hopheads w/o scaring away the normies
A Munich Helles, for the BMC crowd (they'll know it as simply 'lager beer')
A German Hefeweizen for the ladies, served with the cheesy lemon wedge and everything.
My dry-hopped pub ale: like a maltier, lighter-bodied and less-bitter APA.
Seasonal rotating high-gravity tap for the beer geeks: imperial pilsner in the summer, weizenbock in the fall, my dark winter warmer and a helles-bock in the spring time.

Some stuff that's different but still familiar enough to keep the bar full of people.

1. My Hakuna Matata Pale Ale
2. My Harpooned IPA (plays along the APA/IPA border)
3. My Soul Stripper IPA
4. My She's Got Balls Double ESB
5. My Pilsner Aristocrat
6. Rotating (my For Peat's Sake Smoked Porter, My Back in Black IPA, my My Purple Daze Raspberry Wheat, a dry stout, other things)

On a similar topic, I'm currently building and setting up a 9-tap bar. I've thought about this as well, plus the logistics of carbonation pressures, tanks, etc. I figure 1 tap will be for stouts (nitro and such), 4 on a single CO2 tank with a single regulator (most of my beers are pale ales and are equally carbonated) and a 4-way distributor, and the remaining 4 on a single CO2 tank with 2 regulators and 2 2-way distributors.

Constants:
*Oatmeal Stout
*Blonde
*American IPA, bordering on APA
*Amber with Rye

Rotating:
*Wheat, porter, nut brown, Saison, seasonals, Alt

Yuvaraja simcoe IPA
Amarillo Pale Ale
Malty Stock Ale
American Amber Ale
Willamette oat brown ale
Chocolate Stout
*seasonals*
-Honey Rye Saison
-oak coffee imperial stout
-Double Blonde
-Christmas Ale

I've been dreaming about my own place for as long as I've been brewing...

It'll happen some day...some day...

For now, this is my menu of beer:

1. Devil Pils (9%)
2. Maris Otter/Cascade SMaSH (5%) (for the non-beer-geek masses)
3. Honey/Vanilla Oaked Old Ale (9%)
4. Irish Honey Red (6-7%)
5. C-Hop IIPA (7%) (columbus, centennial, and cascade hops)
6. Rotating special/seasonal that includes Honey Raisin Amarillo Pale (9%), Maple Scottish Ale (10%), Peanut Butter Cup Stout (9%), The Great Pumpkin Ale (8%), and Godiva Brown (5%).

I would have 4 year-rounds:
1. A pale or amber 'flagship' that could work for BMC's or snobs like us
2. A balanced (not bitter) but very hoppy IPA
3. A stout
4. A pilsner

5. Seasonal (wheats in summer, octoberfest, etc.)
6. Experimental (tripels, IS, IIPA, whatever strikes my fancy)

At least in the Northwest, having an IPA on the menu is almost at the point of having a burger on the menu; you have to serve it or you won't survive. German pubs are real popular here too, I'd definately have to hit the sell-out button in my joint.

See this is what I mean by saying IPAs are played. Also, I've tasted many IPAs that are high on bitterness but taste like **** because they don't have enough aroma hops. It costs less to just crank out 70 IBUs via warrior or something. Or it's not fresh enough.

See this is what I mean by saying IPAs are played. Also, I've tasted many IPAs that are high on bitterness but taste like **** because they don't have enough aroma hops. It costs less to just crank out 70 IBUs via warrior or something. Or it's not fresh enough.

Go back to BeerAdvocate.

The standard approach:

1) American Pilsner
2) Amber or Red ale
3) IPA
4) Stout
5) Hefeweizen
6) Seasonal: Pumpkin, O-Fest, Christmas Spice, Spring Bock, Summer Wheat, etc

Seems like almost every brewpub in the land has this configuration. Just once can't I get an Oak Aged Coffee Saison?!?!

1) Ton-O-Hops IPA
2) Strawberry Wheat (American)
3) Heffeweizen
4) Blonde Bock
5) Uncle Fester (Octoberfest)
6) Silly Willy (Simcoe Pale Ale)
7) Round Boy Stout

Ah, man! This would be a dream come true!

Year Rounds:
1) IIPA (8.1%)
2) American Brown Ale (6.0%)
3) Black Dynomite IPA (7.5%)
4) Weiss Decision (4.7%)

Seasonal/Special Release:
Mail Order Russian Bride (Russian Imperial Stout - 10.7%)
Ye Olde American Barleywine (11.7%)
Party Saison (Flavored with Vanilla, Coconut, and Macadamia nuts - 6.9%)
Belgian IIPA (8.5%)
Belgian Black IPA (7.8%)
Vanilla Oaked Brown (7.5%)
Oaked IIPA (8.1%)

-Pale Ale
-IPA
-Sweet Stout
-Amber Ale
-Dortmunder Export

Seasonals
March - Irish Red
June - American Wheat
September - Oktoberfest
December - Christmas Ale

Small Release Batches
Imperial IPA
Imperial Amber
Imperial Stout
Barley Wine
Scotish Wee Heavy

The thing about a brewpub is you have to, like any business, give the people what they want. While there have already been lists for generic "every pub should have" suggestions, regional ones will have special requirements. For example, where I live, the closest brewpub had NO IPA of any kind for several years. Wasn't a problem, but this was in hicksville. In the Northwest and San Diego, you HAVE TO have an IPA and maybe an IIPA. In the South, you might be successful with a feature light brown ale or lager (think DosXX) with a southern name like "GaterBeer" or "Texas Pride". Some other areas you may need a couple of Belgium styles to differentiate yourself.

I'd do quite poorly if I catered to my own tastes, as I like beers at 100 IBUs or more!

Late here but I would do a local bar/tap room survey to see what people are drinking.

but the beer menu would have:

American Pale Ale
American Lager or Pils
American Amber Ale
India Pale Ale
A Seasonal Hop Monster IPA
American Red (essentially an Irish Red with American Hops and Yeast)
English Porter
American Stout (probably an oatmeal stout)

The thing about a brewpub is you have to, like any business, give the people what they want. While there have already been lists for generic "every pub should have" suggestions, regional ones will have special requirements. For example, where I live, the closest brewpub had NO IPA of any kind for several years. Wasn't a problem, but this was in hicksville. In the Northwest and San Diego, you HAVE TO have an IPA and maybe an IIPA. In the South, you might be successful with a feature light brown ale or lager (think DosXX) with a southern name like "GaterBeer" or "Texas Pride". Some other areas you may need a couple of Belgium styles to differentiate yourself.

I'd do quite poorly if I catered to my own tastes, as I like beers at 100 IBUs or more!

People will surprise you. I've read, over and over, the stories of the successful craft brewers who brewed the beer that they liked, and found out that other people liked them too. I agree that a brewpub is a different animal due to being at a fixed location and having to draw people to you, but still feel that if you make good beer, regardless of whether the style is common in your area, people will drink it...

People will surprise you. I've read, over and over, the stories of the successful craft brewers who brewed the beer that they liked, and found out that other people liked them too. I agree that a brewpub is a different animal due to being at a fixed location and having to draw people to you, but still feel that if you make good beer, regardless of whether the style is common in your area, people will drink it...

Cambridge Brewing Co. in Boston, MA does this. They brew what they like--and some of it is interesting (e.g. Porter with wild yeast that gives it wine-like qualities, something like a cross between a Porter and a port). It's one of the more popular brewpubs there!

1 - My Amber Ale
2 - My Dortmounder
3 - My Brown Porter
4 - An English Pale Ale
5 - An Belgian Blond
6 - An IPA
7 - Rotative stuff. Liked this one!

Cambridge Brewing Co. in Boston, MA does this. They brew what they like--and some of it is interesting (e.g. Porter with wild yeast that gives it wine-like qualities, something like a cross between a Porter and a port). It's one of the more popular brewpubs there!

I have the good fortune to live les than a few miles from Cambridge Brewing Company. They always have a pale ale, amber, a porter, and a golden ale on tap, all of which are solid, drinkable beers. The really shine in their seasonals and one-offs. The porter jgourd was talking about is amazing - tart and chocolatey! They also do a killer summer barleywine and about 4 different pumpkin beers in the fall. Awesome, local, seasonal food as well. Check it out if you're in the area...

As for MY brewpub...

1. English IPA
2. Saison w/ Brett
3. Nut brown
4. Stout
5. Seasonal
6. Experimental

1. German Pilsner
2. American Pale Ale with lots of citrusy hops
3. Traditional Bavarian Hefeweizen
4. West coast IPA (SN Celebration Ale type recipe...deep copper, ~70 IBU's)
5. Munich Dunkel
6. Apfelwein! (per SWMBO)

1. Semi-sweet mead
2. Rotating sour
3. Cider of some sort
4. session pale ale
5. session brown
6. rotating stronger beer- IPA/Belgian Strong/Stout

And I'd do a weekly firkin of something weird. This is more what I want, I'd guess, than what would actually work in a brewpub.

The standard approach:

1) American Pilsner
2) Amber or Red ale
3) IPA
4) Stout
5) Hefeweizen
6) Seasonal: Pumpkin, O-Fest, Christmas Spice, Spring Bock, Summer Wheat, etc

Seems like almost every brewpub in the land has this configuration. Just once can't I get an Oak Aged Coffee Saison?!?!

Drop the hefe or the stout and use that tap for experimental.

Its hard to pick but off the top of my head i think i would probably do something like:
1. BM's Centential Blonde Ale
2. Dudes Lake Walk Pale Ale
3. Dennys bourbon vanilla imperial porter(without the bourbon, maybe without the vanilla)
4. Bradsuls munich oatmeal stout
5. Some IPA, not sure what i would i pick. Probably something leaning towards balanced instead of extreme bitter
6. Some fruit wheat or wit

I will never open a brewpub but some of the reasoning/thinking behind my picks

1. i picked the centential blonde mainly for the noncraft drinkers who are use to BMC, sam adams, hieny, etc. it has slightly more flavor than BMC but it goes down smooth and refreshing for all beer drinkers to enjoy.

2. Would want to have a pale ale, and dudes LWPA(in the recipe database) is one of the best ive tasted. it uses a lot of hops, but not to bitter(a lot of aroma and flavor) so this would is close to an IPA also

3. dennys porter...great recipe, one of my top all times but i would probably end up making this a seasonal since i already have a dark beer on the menu. other seasonals would probably be octoberfest, pumpkin ale, wet hop IIPA, brown ale, wit

4. bradsuls munich stout is an awesome stout, and would want a stout as one of the six. i was thinking maybe a basic dry stout instead but decided on this.

5. need an ipa

6. fruit wheat for the females

Is that the sour porter that they've had the last couple months? It was delicious!

They said they're never making it again though because it didn't sell well at all, lol.

They have a great set of house brews and I'm always intrigued by at least two of the other things they have on tap. Lately it was the Sorachi Ace Amber, that was pretty cool. The summer barleywine was amazing, made me do a double take. It made me think about barleywine differently.

Mine would be my take on American brewing, which is more about american ingredients no matter the style. It's about using what is more local for you and not importing unnecessarily. I also would focus primarily on beers 7% or less. I like to take imperial styles and un-imperialize them. So here's my list

1. XPA. Something IPAish in hop flavor, but 4.5-5.5 abv. and very light in color.
2. Brown/amber. Nothing too hoppy.
3. Kolsch/helles/pils/cream ale. Just American hops. Since I can't use saaz, hallertau or tett I would use mt hood, liberty, crystal. Something like that.
4. Stout. Somewhere between a dry and American stout.
5. American saison. Saisons are great food beers and work well with citrusy am. hops.
6. ESB/special bitter/APA (American pub ale). No fuggles or EKG. Just willamette or similar.
7. Wheat. It could be Belgian style (Lots of fresh local oranges to zest) or berliner style (can make syrups from fresh fruits). No hefes, just not my thing.

I think you get the idea of my style. Americanize every style in ingredients, but take the session is better approach as opposed to bigger.

Is that the sour porter that they've had the last couple months? It was delicious!

They said they're never making it again though because it didn't sell well at all, lol.

They have a great set of house brews and I'm always intrigued by at least two of the other things they have on tap. Lately it was the Sorachi Ace Amber, that was pretty cool. The summer barleywine was amazing, made me do a double take. It made me think about barleywine differently.

Yeah, the sour porter. I particularly enjoyed their ESB and cask ale.

Latest posts

Back