If you like first time AG threads...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Happy Mug

Reaction score
You'll probably enjoy reading about this mess.

My buddy Trever and I got together for our first all-grain batch. He provided the recipe and the grains, I provided most of the equipment. We had a great start, running over to my in-laws for my charismatic wooden spoon (I can't brew without it!), whirlflock, and burner. We had to run back to his place for his wort chiller and brewpot.

An hour later we got to work. Here's the recipe he formulated for an imperial stout:
7.25 lbs Maris Otter
5.0 lbs premium american 2-row
2.5 lbs dark Munich
.5 lb debittered black
.25 lb roasted barley
1.0 lb chocolate malt

1 oz galena hops full 60 minute boil
2 oz kent goldings 40 minutes into boil

1 tube WLP001, later became 2 tubes

Anyway, this was poorly thought out. We ended up mashing in two seperate brew pots because it was a rediculous amount of grain for a single 20-quart. We ended up filling those bad-boys up to the top keeping our temperatures as close as possible to target. We ended up with a 45 minute mash ~130, and another 45 minutes at ~150. We were aiming for 135 and 155, respectively. So, we figured it would be a little dry.

Anyway, our sparge was a disaster. Two grain bags stacked in the bottling bucket, sprinkling water on top with a pitcher. I figured, sparge until we were mostly clear. That stuff came off almost black for two brewpots full. The third brewpot was thinner, but still dark enough to be a nice brown. Beautiful colors. We ended up re-arranging the grain bags several times over the courge of our sparge.

We ended up filling all three 20 quart brewpots mostly to the top. We figured we had around 14 gallons now. In the third brewpot, our gravity was 1.034 @ 65, so we figured we'd use it rather than toss it.

We decided to split this up into two batches. We put all three pots on to boil, and drove to the homebrew store for a second vial of yeast and more hops. We decided to just boil it all down to one batch, and bought another thing of yeast to double-pitch.

It took six hours to boil all of that down to one pot, and we added the hops. When all was said and done, we hooked our two wort chillers up, with one in ice water and the second in the brewpot. I put Trev's wort chiller in the brewpot, but the hose fell down and melted away a little bit. It didn't melt through at least. We chilled that baby down to 65 real quick. We got an OG of ~1.130 coming off the brewpot at 80 degrees. We were stoked.

When it hit the 6.5 gallon carboy, we had to add more water to it. We poured in about two or three gallons, and ended up with 1.071 for our OG. Bummer!

Incidently, we ended up with this beautiful, pitch-black wort on the floor during the transfer. The stupid funnel fell and wasted about a quart. It's nice to brew at other peoples houses, because they have to clean up. Isn't that right, Trev? Hey, no complaints - he payed for it all.

We pitched both tubes of yeast, and Trev took baby stout home. He said it developed FIVE INCHES of trub, and was finished fermenting within a week. So she's in secondary right now, and I await with baited breath. I'm still waiting for the FG.

Trev said it tasted awesome on the transfer. A touch sweet, roasty, coffee-like, alcohol kick right up front. He's considering pitching another vial of yeast.

I spent an hour cleaning up...

Welcome to the grainy goodness...

Why does everyone pick a quadruple imperial oatmeal honey molasses mega blow your brains out stout for their first AG?

:mug: Brew on! :mug:

We shared one 22 oz of honey ale and two 12 oz of Lager than Life for like a nine hour brew session. Yeah, our homebrew stock really didn't last, and Lager than Life still needs a few weeks to, well, lager.

We each had a 22 of The Reverend and split a sixer of 90 Shilling, so we did have good beer.

Next time, there shall be plenty of homebrew!

He's the chairman for a reason, people.

Watcha got, man? I've got no problem sending a 12oz homebrew to get something as equally great.

EDIT: Trev likes the trade idea. We'd be willing to exchange 22 ouncers as well!

Mugarelli- I dunno right now, I'm on Africa. Hit me up next week, we can straighten it out once I can view my stash.

Denny- It'll probably be easiest to coordinate a swap during one of my frequent trip out there.

Will advise.

Why pitch that much yeast? 2 vials and you thought about a 3rd??? WHY? That makes NO SENCE to me at all! Once you have krausen then the yeast is doing its job. If it subsides its because its is done (or stalled and then I can see adding more yeast). Or even if its a new strain for a specific taste profile I can understand that.... BUT WHY WOULD YOU EVER NEED 2 to start with? Then a 3rd? after its almost done??? NO REASON AT ALL for that except to waste money! But hey, if Im missing something here let me know.... No offence and Im new to the board.... Just giving my 2 shillings worth!

If you feel like you need more yeast anyway to get it going for a large batch thats got a high gravity, then why not make a starter???? WAAAAAYYYYYYYYY cheaper and more practical anyway....

Just another 'why the hell not' thing.

Seriously, we were planning on doing two batches as I said earlier, and empty-minded we still bought the second yeast so figured why not. I neglected to write that fact down earlier because we did enough goofing up.

He suggested the third yeast because he didn't have his hydrometer with him and wasn't sure if it was done or not. That was a real quick ferment for a 9% beer, and we thought it stopped. We waited for a hydrometer reading before making a decision.

I'd say our double-pitch worked extremely well, and I plan to do it again. In my current opinion it has worked as well as starters I have done in the past, without the extra work. A $7 tube of yeast doesn't break my budget.

Ok I hear ya... For me brewing is not only fun and gives me room to experiment, its also cheap! So I try to make it as inexpensive as possible. I pay $9 plus tax for yeast at my LHBS and if I needed 3 thats almost $30 with tax!! Thats more than I spend on most beers that I make total for a ten gallon batch! So I get at least 5 or so batches outta each yeast that I use! I use about 40 cents in DME and start it about 3 or 4 days before in a quart to a gallon, and pitch when Im ready. I usually get activity by morning if not within a few hrs. Takes MINUTES to do and gives GREAT results AND I can keep about 4 different yeast strains on hand at all times... But if you dont care how much you spend, then you are luckier than I!!
GOOD LUCK and enjoy,....

Latest posts

Back