If there was only one yeast left on earth, and it was dry...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
Which dry yeast would you use if it was the only remaining beer yeast on earth, and this single strain was all there would ever be going forward? Single word answers naming your choice are perfectly acceptable. No multiple choice answers please. No discussions of liquid yeast in this thread please.

Fleischmann's Bread Yeast...Hands-down.....
coffee.gif

icon_wink.gif

I would vote notty.

Just because you can go clean or more ester with it. Great for psedo-lagers, IPA's and ales.

I'm surprised the love for S04....Lots of hatred for that yeast around here.
I have no clear cut answer for a favorite yeast

This might be a bit of recency bias, but I think it would be K-97. I recently used this yeast, and I really like it. It was clean and did it's job effectively.

US-05 if I can't control fermentation temp well (it's more forgiving).
Notty if I have good temp control (it's more versitile).
Belle Saison in a post-apocalyptic situation (it will make beer out of anything at any temperature)

Having seen recent XBMT experiments regarding high temp fermentaiton with lager yeast, I have to say: Saflager 34/70.

We are beginning to drift from the control parameters established by the first post in this thread. No way to pick a winner if there is more than one choice offered. All of the posts mentioning more than one yeast will therefore be excluded from the final tally. If your post is in this category, and you want to be counted, post again please, but with only the mention of a single yeast. Comments regarding (defining, clarifying) your single selection are welcome, but not required.

My vote: Nottingham

Notty for the suedo-lager at cool temps or more estery at high temps.

I also just used Mangrove Jack's M44. It's supposed to be a dry version of the PacMan yeast. The first beer I did has shown good results so far(Oatmeal stout went from 1.059 to 1.014 in 4 days and dropped very clear). Flavor is also very clean. This may turn in to my house yeast.

But without further tests on M44, I'd go with Nottingham.

I give up. I established the posting rules for this, my thread, and they are consistently being violated. Have at it, post what you will, and come to your own conclusions. I will no longer attempt to formally tally up any results.

I give up. I established the posting rules for this, my thread, and they are consistently being violated. Have at it, post what you will, and come to your own conclusions. I will no longer attempt to formally tally up any results.

Jeez, lighten up Francis.... Whaddya doing, collecting data on your honors thesis for Prepper school?

Lighten up much??

You proposed a rather ridiculous, completely hypothetical scenario and are all bent out of shape because people want to a have a little discussion?

At the risk of angering the thread gods I vote for us-05 but belle saison could be cool too. Oh no I've been struck by lightning!

Jeez, lighten up Francis....

Say more than one yeast.....I'll kill ya
An explanation with no yeast.....I'll kill ya
If you don't get with the program.....I'll kill ya

Half the people here have no idea what were talking about.
Lets start another poll
Do you know what this is from?
Don't say if you do
If you say....I'll kill ya

I am going to assume that if there is only one beer yeast left then we are in the post apocalyptic world. Then I would expect temp control to be non existent (for the most part). My choice would be Belle Saison.

If not the apocalypse then Nottingham.

Saccharomyces Cerevisiae.

I'd selectively train it's offspring to adapt to cooler wort for the colder months.

Someone should have thought of this by now. It could be the premise for a whole new industry in beer.

Say more than one yeast.....I'll kill ya
An explanation with no yeast.....I'll kill ya
If you don't get with the program.....I'll kill ya

Half the people here have no idea what were talking about.
Lets start another poll
Do you know what this is from?
Don't say if you do
If you say....I'll kill ya

Love that movie.. Only explanation i could give a friend of mine as to why was giant cluster***k

Ohh and Notty for sure

Last edited:
Current Tally:

Saflager US-05 - 9
Saflager US-04 - 6
Danstar Nottingham - 4
Saflager 34/70 - 3
Saflager S-189 - 1
Saflager K97 - 1

Back