If i do a Hop Tea, is it useless/not recommended to dry hop ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ingvaroo

Reaction score
Hey guys, was wondering if i should dry hop my latest batch since im going to be leaving it there for a month.

Now, this batch i made a hop tea, so is it useless/not recommended to dry hop ?
Do i get any better beer or just ruin it ?

Best Regards

I don't know that it'd be useless to dry hop; if you're using hop tea, I'm going to guess you want it to be fairly hoppy. As such, adding some more hops to the equation probably wouldn't kill it :).

That said, why did you do a tea method in the first place? Nothing wrong with it, but it sounds like you have the time to do a proper dryhopping anyway, so I'm uncertain why you'd decide to go with the tea method. I'd also avoid dryhopping for a full month (if that's what you're planning); 2 weeks is generally the accepted maximum, although I've gone up to three periodically with no major problems.

I plan to let it ferment 2 weeks, dryhop 2 weeks (or skip dry hop and just sit there for amonth)

I have heard good things about hop tea and wanted to try it out. I got some extra hops laying around and was wondering if i should put them to use or save them for another batch :)

I did/recommended the hop tea method I got from the Aussie's. I did it in the BK the 1st 15 minutes of the boil. Then added the Cooper's can,etc.
After FG was reached,I socked up another ounce of a 2nd hop for one week. In one batch,I used 1oz Kent Golding in the hop tea at the beginning & 1oz Willamette to dry hop. It works really well with pre-hopped cans when you don't have any un-hopped DME/LME to do hop additions with.
So it's all good,It works well when you're just starting out,or doing a fill the pipeline brew. Aromas & flavors are quite good this way. Worked real well with the pale ales I was doing in the beginning.

Back