Identify this fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevy

Reaction score
I just scored a kegerator made from an old antique fridge. It seems to be the real deal. Thing is extremely heavy.
anyone know what kind of fridge this is?
I plan on adding two more taps on either side of existing one.
it used to have a name plate or something on the front above the tap. I’d like to try and replace it
Thanks everybody. Pics below
24F1BFFF-85B9-4EC4-A7AB-45F7D78F4A36.jpeg
C2ACCA82-2DA5-4F9B-949B-54E48DFA0E17.jpeg
6E0D75C3-E390-45D0-803C-C43B39A2C17E.jpeg

Will 3 cornies and a co2 tank even fit?
With a good cleaning and paint job that would be cool as hell
I painted a regular modern white fridge with home depot appliance enamel and it worked REMARKABLY well fwiw
Very cool look, I hope you restore this thing nicely!

Will 3 cornies and a co2 tank even fit?
With a good cleaning and paint job that would be cool as hell
I painted a regular modern white fridge with home depot appliance enamel and it worked REMARKABLY well fwiw
Very cool look, I hope you restore this thing nicely!
It’s been clear coated. Has that tow-mayor look
Two kegs will definitely fit. I will do a trial with a few tomorrow

If you can’t find anything my brother-in-law has an identical fridge in his house. His is a GE from the 60s. Most of the tags are still readable too. I could try to get some pictures for you if your interested.

I like it too!!!! You need a patina'd emblem for it though. Bummer that its gone.

After looking at my BILs, his is the same size and layout as yours but the GE emblem on the front does not match up with the space on yours. Also his handle has GE forged into it. Guessing the previous poster is correct in that it is a Kelvinator.

I like it too!!!! You need a patina'd emblem for it though. Bummer that its gone.

After looking at my BILs, his is the same size and layout as yours but the GE emblem on the front does not match up with the space on yours. Also his handle has GE forged into it. Guessing the previous poster is correct in that it is a Kelvinator.
Cool. Thanks for checking that out.

Send me some rough measurements of your "emblem space". I may know of some old kelvinators now that I think of it. I could try to get an emblem off for you if you want to pay shipping?

Send me some rough measurements of your "emblem space". I may know of some old kelvinators now that I think of it. I could try to get an emblem off for you if you want to pay shipping?
Ok. I’ll measure when I get home

Just asking the obvious here but have you scoured the frig for any sort of labeling attached? Inside the door jamb, the back, etc.? If you do a cleaning on it keep an eye on the parts inside of it in case something was stamped or engraved, or molded in if they molded back then.

The picture makes it look like it's been repainted, so that kind of history may be gone.

Just asking the obvious here but have you scoured the frig for any sort of labeling attached? Inside the door jamb, the back, etc.? If you do a cleaning on it keep an eye on the parts inside of it in case something was stamped or engraved, or molded in if they molded back then.

The picture makes it look like it's been repainted, so that kind of history may be gone.
No stickers. It’s was refinished to look crappy with a clear coat
I will look for stamping. Good idea

8”x3”

I have a Hotpoint fridge, ca. 1949, that I use as a ferm chamber. Except for the orientation of the door handle, mine looks almost the same as the OP’s.

These old fridges are pretty hard to kill. Unless they spring a refrigerant leak there isn’t much to go wrong with them. I’ve had mine for over 20 years; it was given to me by a neighbor who got a newer beer fridge for his shop.

Excuse the poor lighting; the power is off here.
A5846818-E51B-4B5C-8CC2-77755CCAF210.jpeg

I have a Hotpoint fridge, ca. 1949, that I use as a ferm chamber. Except for the orientation of the door handle, mine looks almost the same as the OP’s.

These old fridges are pretty hard to kill. Unless they spring a refrigerant leak there isn’t much to go wrong with them. I’ve had mine for over 20 years; it was given to me by a neighbor who got a newer beer fridge for his shop.

Excuse the poor lighting; the power is off here.
View attachment 711330
Nice!
Yeah. My sounds like a quite tractor but it’s seems like it was built like a tank.

I love vintage refrigerators like that. After a quick image search on google, I think it could be a General Electric. Many have a similar emblem shape and vertical handle.

It is a beauty. I searched to find all over pictures, but came up short. The vertical handle and the 7 slashes should be a give away, but no dice. I did find the General Electric is the model with the theme of the vertical impressions, but usually near full length.

As there is 7, it may be a clue to the riddle of a seven letter brand, such as Admiral or General, but that came up short too. The impression below the badge would probably be some sort of model distinction such as Deluxe or the like. That might be more of a clue.

If it runs, It is a huge score. I brought a 1950s keg fridge home from college and placed it in my dad's garage and there it stands, still running beer 30 years to date. It is a 1950s fridge, never serviced, never failed.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody for your input. I appreciate it. Long love home brew!

Back