Ideas/recipes for Wyeast De Bom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grittanomyces

Reaction score
A spin-off of the this thread, announcing "Sourpalooza" offerings from July to September: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/wyeast-pc-july-sept-2014-sourpalooza-480559/

I'm really excited about the De Bom strain, both because it sounds unique and because of the quick turnaround time. The temp range is huge for me, because I don't have a way to keep the fermentation temp at 80 except these summer months in GA when it's that temp range inside most of the time even in spite of the AC.

So pretty much I get one crack at this. I'd like to get creative with it, but I'm really not sure what to make of "authentic Old- and New-World sour ale profiles".

New to sour brewing as well. I'd like to try a sour IPA, though it doesn't say anything about "hop tolerance" or intolerance, so gladly take advice on anything to keep in mind or know.

But this thread doesn't just have to be about me either. Chime in if you have any plans or suggestions on how to make something good with this unknown strand.

I'm using my enkle recipe since its easy, and seems to go well with sour cultures. Plus I like doing the same or very similar beers to test out new stuff. I already know what this beer does with other producers blends so it's an easy benchmark

Brewed an Oud Bruin (Jamil's recipe almost) and pitched De Bom yesterday. It's in an unvented upstairs closet with a blanket wrapped around it, should stay around 80. Did a wild Berliner Bruin (heh) with the second runnings. I'll let you know it works.

Missed it before, the sour IPA part. If you want to do a hoppy sour, get you hops from heavy dry hopping, not the boil. I'd keep the IBU's to 15, just bittering. Then proceed as normal for a sour. When it tastes ready hit it with dry hops. Heavy fruit and/or citrus are where you want to be. Avoid piney, earthy, or grassy hops. Prairie does one called funky gold mosaic that's really good. Mosaic, citra, Amarillo, el dorado, Australian Summer or any if the NZ fruit bombs.

Damn, I almost wish you hadn't told me about that. Already doing a brett trois batch for the summer months and don't have the funds to get another fementer and do both... But damn does that look like a fun blend, I hope they bring it back. Maybe someone in the homebrew club will want to do a joint batch...

Going for a sour stout. Not sure if I'm doing raspberries or cherries. Depends on what's available at the farmers market this weekend.

My Oud Bruin de Bom at 12 days primary is 1.012 (OG 1.050). Has tons of yeast rafts on top. Tastes clean and malty and gets a little bit sour when cold. Looking forward to how this develops.

Did you add air during fermentation? I just checked my batch and it's at 1.040, og 1.057...

No air except from opening the lid for that sample. I don't have pure O2 so I'm skipping it. It's surprising how much it already has a tiny bit of the character I'm expecting, like a super mild version of a Cascade brown. It's been between 75 and 85 wrapped in blankets in my upstairs closet. I'll sample again at 4 weeks.

Latest posts

Back