Ideas for White Labs California Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCBrew

Reaction score
Yo guys, So I've become a avid believer in the reusing of yeast cakes for a second, heavier brew(i.e.- a 1.060 Oatmeal Stout on a 1.032 Bitters (nottingham)) and I want to do the same on top of a IPA (OG-1.049).

So far I've thought about a IIPA and a hoppy Barleywine.

Do you guys have other suggestions for a relatively big brew that would take well to this mountain of hungary Cali Ale yeast? I am open to outside o' the box thinking.

TIA!

I've really been enjoying some of these brews that have been termed "double reds". You can make it a pretty big malt bomb and hop it with all late addition hops. I just made one with a 1.080 OG and have been very happy with the results...it kicks ass. Let me know if you want the recipe. If not that, I'd also think about an old ale...you can make those pretty big as well.

What do you have in mind for those brews (commercial correlates?) I was a big fan of the Lagunitas Imperial Red, is that similar to what you have in mind for the double red (which is a great idea if so btw).

As for Old Ale, you'll need to enlighten me, haven't heard of that before.

Thanks for the reply

Hop Head Red from Green Flash....thats what I was thinking even before I saw the 2nd poster's input!

Or maybe a big brown w some honey?

Or a double brown amped up on hops?

Good Luck!

Durango has it right! I think of brews like Green Flash's Hop Head Red...Lagunitas Imperial Red or Lucky 13 are also great brews. I got my inspiration from a local brewpub in Bend, Oregon (Bend Brewing Company). It was called Scarlet and it was amazing. In essence what I want in those brews is something really malty but with a nice hop flavor and aroma but much lower on the IBU side from something like an IPA. I accomplished that with my red by giving it a 90 minute boil but not adding a single hop until the final 20 minutes of the boil. The last go around I did a 10 gallon batch, but it's pretty easy to scale or convert to extract. Here's what I have:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 12.00 gal
Boil Size: 15.03 gal
Estimated OG: 1.081 SG
Estimated Color: 12.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 36.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
15.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
12.75 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
2.25 lb Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
2.03 oz Amarillo (20 min)
2.00 oz Columbus (10 min)
2.03 oz Amarillo (10 min)
1.00 oz Columbus (5 min)
2.00 oz Amarillo (15 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep Hops) -
2.00 oz Columbus (15 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep Hops)
American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast Cake

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 33.00 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 42 qts of water at 169.4 F 154.0 F 60 min

So i think I'm heading towards a nice Double Red. I've been ordering online so far (usually AHS) and only have the capacity for about 9lbs of grain (So I'd need a partial mash recipe). Do you guys have any suggestions of recipes I might order (AHS or otherwise) as my LHBS is not the cheapest place to buy, especially for a beer of this gravity/hoppedness.

I converted this in beersmith and tweaked it to get nice round numbers/measurable numbers. This would be a copy of my recipe as a partial mash recipe, if you're interested:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.20 gal
Estimated OG: 1.081 SG
Estimated Color: 14.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 40.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
8.00 lb Amber Liquid Extract
4.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
0.50 lb Munich Malt - 20L
0.10 lb Victory Malt
1.00 oz Amarillo (20 min)
1.00 oz Columbus (10 min)
1.00 oz Amarillo (10 min)
0.50 oz Columbus (5 min)
1.00 oz Amarillo (15 min) (At flame out-Steep Hops)
1.00 oz Columbus (15 min) (At flame out-Steep Hops)
Yeast Cake American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 5.10 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 6.38 qt of water at 169.4 F 154.0 F 60 min

Back