Ideas for using grains after the mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delcosansgluten

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

What do you do with your grains after the mash? Can they be used for anything? Or should I just dry it out and hope the birds eat it?!

Cheers!

If you have a dog, they can be used to make dog treats using this simple recipe!
  • 4 cups of spent grain
  • 2 cups of flour (+ extra for the counter, rolling pin, and adjusting stickiness of the dough)
  • 1 cup of peanut butter (I used creamy)
  • 2 eggs
I have a black lab who loves brew day almost as much as I do ;)

If you have a dog, they can be used to make dog treats using this simple recipe!
  • 4 cups of spent grain
  • 2 cups of flour (+ extra for the counter, rolling pin, and adjusting stickiness of the dough)
  • 1 cup of peanut butter (I used creamy)
  • 2 eggs
I have a black lab who loves brew day almost as much as I do ;)

thanks for this suggestion! i presume you bake the grain dough mixture right? if so for how long?

Make bread with lightly toasted malts... in my experience, this doesn't come out as well with roasty grains.

~2c. spent grain
warm water
bread yeast
~1/2c. honey

Mix together and allow yeast to activate ~45 min

4-5c. flour (added slowly to consistency)
~1TBS garlic powder
pinch of salt

Add activated yeast to dry ingredients, kneed and allow to rise ~1hr

Punch down and separate into loaves, let rise again ~30 min, heat oven to 350deg.

When oven is hot, insert loaves and bake until the kitchen smells good... ~35-40 min

When I plan things out right, I can get a loaf of bread out of the oven as the chilled wort drains to the fermenter.

Freaking delicious.

Back