Ideas For My First All-Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorsbrew

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've only got 2 extract brews under my belt so far and i'm already moving to BIAB. Going to stay with my 5 gallon kettle for now so i'll probably do 2 gallon batches.

I've got 1 more extract kit ready to go but i'm planning and buying gear and bulk ingredients for BIAB for the next batch and i'd like ideas for my first brew so i can choose what bulk hops i'll order from ritebrew.com (very cheap there and if i buy 3 1lb bags the shipping per lb/bag is very cheap) and the grains i'll get from my LHBS (if i can use 2-row my LHBS has 55lb sacks for $40).

On to the brew i'd like. OK i'm hoping to do a belgian but i'd like the ABV to be as low as possible. My favorite beer of all time is Tripel Karmeliet but that is an 8.5% beer, way higher than i'm looking to do. So maybe a blonde or patersbier? Keeping in mind the paragraph below.

My favorite thing about belgians is the fruity esters, cant get enough of them. Most important thing is to get those fruity esters and as strong as possible. I'd prefer lemon, apple, coriander type esters but banana is fine too if that's the strongest one you can get. I want them strong strong, and to last as long as possible.

My first beer was a Kolsch and it had banana esters on bottling day 6 that was DELISH but those disappeared soon after, i'd like to keep them around.

(Also if i'm going to use a liquid yeast then doing 2 beers on the same day but using the same yeast would be nice so i could get the most out of the expensive liquid yeast designed for 5 gallons)

Whether it's a clone or yours or someone elses recipe i'd love to hear them all :mug:

Thanks!

Notes:
I have temperature control (chest freezer and ITC-310T controller).
I keg.
I can make a starter.
If there's any other gear you need to know about for a recommendation let me know.

I'm ending my days of lurking to suggest a Patersbier if you're into Belgian beers. Keep it around 5% ABV and it should be a pretty intro to all grain brewing. Norther Brewer's Patersbier recipe is a great place to start.

I made a 100% Pilsner malt Patersbier a few months ago. It was good, but next time I might play around with adding a tiny bit of aromatic malt.

Thanks but i'm sticking to recipes not kits. Not only to save money by buying bulk (vacuum packed hops in freezer, grains in buckets in my keezer) but so i can make whatever small modifications i want instead of just using a kit.

I mentioned blondes and patersbiers because those are sort of belgian low gravity beers. Though i'm wanting as much flavor as i can get (mostly in the fruity estery area) while keeping the gravity as low i can.

Thanks but i'm sticking to recipes not kits. Not only to save money by buying bulk (vacuum packed hops in freezer, grains in buckets in my keezer) but so i can make whatever small modifications i want instead of just using a kit.

I mentioned blondes and patersbiers because those are sort of belgian low gravity beers. Though i'm wanting as much flavor as i can get (mostly in the fruity estery area) while keeping the gravity as low i can.

I know, but you can find their kit recipe and just buy the ingredients yourself. I say this because I can't recall which hops they use.

Patersbiers are light yet surprisingly flavorful. Pretty much all of the flavor comes from the esters produced by the yeast, which is Wyeast 3787 in my brew as well as NB recipe.

Another class of beers that might be worth a look would be some of the Bavarian HefeWeizens. The yeasts produce some interesting flavours that I've really enjoyed. I've got a recipe for one called Edelweiß (Edelweiss) that really caught my eye. I brewed it a while ago and am set to sample it early next week. If interested, I can provide the details.

I know those aren't Belgian, but they might be interesting; in addition, they are indeed low-ABV and are also very much about the yeast - and the flavours produced by them.

Yes to patersbier. That's basically a "single" Belgian, compared to dubbel or tripel.

You can do 4% and still get good flavor.

I did one last year with base malt, D-45 candi, and Saaz hops. Orange peel, lemongrass, coriander at the end. The spices complement the yeast.

These are very simple beers where the yeast provides the distinct flavor and aroma.

Another class of beers that might be worth a look would be some of the Bavarian HefeWeizens. The yeasts produce some interesting flavours that I've really enjoyed. I've got a recipe for one called Edelweiß (Edelweis) that really caught my eye. I brewed it a while ago and am set to sample it early next week. If interested, I can provide the details.

I know those aren't Belgian, but they might be interesting; in addition, they are indeed low-ABV and are also very much about the yeast - and the flavours produced by them.
Certainly interesed. Especially if i could use the same yeast.

Especially looking for similar beers i can do 2 of and use the same yeast from 1 smack pack/vial that i make into a starter, into each 2 gallon batch.

Although if i make a starter i can pitch half the yeast and save the other half in a mason jar in the fridge for a few months right?

Yes to patersbier. That's basically a "single" Belgian, compared to dubbel or tripel.

You can do 4% and still get good flavor.

I did one last year with base malt, D-45 candi, and Saaz hops. Orange peel, lemongrass, coriander at the end. The spices complement the yeast.

These are very simple beers where the yeast provides the distinct flavor and aroma.

Have you got the recipe or can direct me to where i can find it?

Thanks

To Ron - Certainly interesed. Especially if i could use the same yeast.

Here's the link:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=585203

Especially looking for similar beers i can do 2 of and use the same yeast from 1 smack pack/vial into each 2 gallon batch that i make into a starter.

These would "technically" use Bavarian or Munich yeasts - but to be honest, I don't see why you couldn't give it a try with Belgian yeasts (in the name of experimentation) and see what happens. It's not like you're going to end up with cyanide, right?

Although if i make a starter i can pitch half the yeast and save the other half in a mason jar in the fridge for a few months right?

To my knowledge, yes - but please wait until you hear it from folks who are more experienced!

To Erci/LStewart - Have you got the recipe [for PatersBier] or can direct me to where i can find it?

I'd be interested too!

Thanks

x2

My replies in red above....

Certainly interesed. Especially if i could use the same yeast.

Especially looking for similar beers i can do 2 of and use the same yeast from 1 smack pack/vial that i make into a starter, into each 2 gallon batch.

Have you got the recipe or can direct me to where i can find it?

Thanks

I'll post my recipe in the morning!

I had to tweak this recipe for you because it was an extract batch. 3 gallon batch. It's a 3-gallon batch and it assumes 75% efficiency.

You'll also have to choose a yeast because this one is special. I think White Labs Belgian Ale or Belgian Wit yeast are similar, but I don't know for sure. When this yeast is fermented under 70, it doesn't get crazy Belgian style aroma. (If you run it hot, like 80 degrees, it will get very aromatic, but that's not a great thing in a patersbier.)

Also, this one isn't quite to style because it adds spices. I like to think that the monks might throw in some extras to make their table beer more interesting, not worrying about style guidelines. Patersbier is definitely an agricultural tradition, so there should be a lot of variation.

And for the goal of patersbier - low ABV, pairs with food, refreshing - this one hits it well.

1.044 OG
1.010 FG

~4.5% ABV

4.25 lbs base malt (pils or pale)
8 oz D-45 Candi syrup

.5 oz Willamette (4.7%) at 60 minutes
.5 oz US Saaz at 20 minutes

Spices at flameout:
2 oz fresh orange zest
2 oz fresh lemongrass chopped
.75 oz crushed coriander seed

Yeast: slurry of bottle cultured yeast from Ommegang

Mash for 60 minutes (I don't do BIAB for that size batch, so follow whatever process you plan to).

Boil and add hops per schedule.

Ferment at 68-70 degrees for 3 days, then let free rise to finish. I did a 4 week fermentation, then bottled.

(I usually aim for 2 weeks bottle carbonation, then 1 week cold conditioning in the fridge before drinking.)

Thanks.

But what do i do to let it "free rise" in a chest freezer with temp controller? Set the temp 10 degrees higher and just let the freezer rise up or somethin?

Thanks.

But what do i do to let it "free rise" in a chest freezer with temp controller? Set the temp 10 degrees higher and just let the freezer rise up or somethin?

Sounds right. Or take it out and let it finish at wherever the temp is.

I had to tweak this recipe for you because it was an extract batch. 3 gallon batch. It's a 3-gallon batch and it assumes 75% efficiency.

You'll also have to choose a yeast because this one is special. I think White Labs Belgian Ale or Belgian Wit yeast are similar, but I don't know for sure. When this yeast is fermented under 70, it doesn't get crazy Belgian style aroma. (If you run it hot, like 80 degrees, it will get very aromatic, but that's not a great thing in a patersbier.)

Also, this one isn't quite to style because it adds spices. I like to think that the monks might throw in some extras to make their table beer more interesting, not worrying about style guidelines. Patersbier is definitely an agricultural tradition, so there should be a lot of variation.

And for the goal of patersbier - low ABV, pairs with food, refreshing - this one hits it well.

1.044 OG
1.010 FG

~4.5% ABV

4.25 lbs base malt (pils or pale)
8 oz D-45 Candi syrup

.5 oz Willamette (4.7%) at 60 minutes
.5 oz US Saaz at 20 minutes

Spices at flameout:
2 oz fresh orange zest
2 oz fresh lemongrass chopped
.75 oz crushed coriander seed

Yeast: slurry of bottle cultured yeast from Ommegang

Mash for 60 minutes (I don't do BIAB for that size batch, so follow whatever process you plan to).

Boil and add hops per schedule.

Ferment at 68-70 degrees for 3 days, then let free rise to finish. I did a 4 week fermentation, then bottled.

(I usually aim for 2 weeks bottle carbonation, then 1 week cold conditioning in the fridge before drinking.)

Hey i decided im going to brew your beer:mug:

About the yeast i was thinking of using WLP500 as it seems to create the most fruity esters? Although for very high gravity beers.

Though what Ommegang beer did you use? I'm thinking of trying to culture some myself if i can find one. Wake county NC does have a LOT of beer options though, so probably.

Thanks

Hey i decided im going to brew your beer:mug:

About the yeast i was thinking of using WLP500 as it seems to create the most fruity esters? Although for very high gravity beers.

Though what Ommegang beer did you use? I'm thinking of trying to culture some myself if i can find one. Wake county NC does have a LOT of beer options though, so probably.

Thanks

Cool!

I cultured from a bottle of Hennepin, but I understand they use the same yeast in all their beers.

I don't know about the wlp 500 since I've never used it. It sounds right to me, though.

Waiting to hear how it turns out!

Latest posts

Back