Early Fruitiness in Stout: Wrong Yeast or Temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My next brew is going to be a stout not unlike Guinness and Murphy's. My last batch was made in something like 2004, so I don't have strong memories, but I do have some info I recorded.

At first, I thought the stout was a little too fruity. Then after it sat in the keg for some weeks, it was perfect. I might knock the bitterness down slightly this time, but other than that, stout of my dreams.

I used 1056 instead of Irish ale yeast, and I fermented at 68.

Wondering what people think. Would I be better off with Irish ale yeast or a lower temperature? Maybe the yeast or the temperature led to the fruity taste, and the beer got better because the esters or whatever dissipated with time.

On the other hand, maybe I want to learn from this so I can get extra fruitiness in an imperial stout.

I think lower temp fermentation would be the bigger factor with 1056. If I want more esters I ferment at 68-70. For profiles that are less estery (esb, stout) I aim for low 60s.

Temp during fermentation to me impacts fruitiness in conjunction with yeast. A different yeast will give different flavors. All of this is dependent on the yeasts behavior with differing temperatures.

Back