Ideas for Christmas/Winter brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyowolf

Reaction score
Looking to brew something now for winter... not sure what. I have an all grain eBIAB set up so I can brew anything...

One's I have done before...

Bourbon Barrel Stout w Vanilla...
Westvelverteen

looking for something... maybe stout/porter with vanilla or a little cherry maybe? I looked through receipe and didnt see anything that caught my eye...

suggestions welcome...

White stout - trying to pack coffee/chocolate flavours into a pale beer.
Plum porter - it's that time of year
Chocolate cherry mild - no hurry just yet, but nice to have something a bit weaker during the party season (and in its aftermath), and a nod to those cherry liqueur chocolates you get at Christmas.
Audit Ale - a sort of double English IPA - or at least a 1.5x, traditionally made with the first hops and barley of the new season for drinking in the New Year, on accounts day at Oxford & Cambridge universities.
Oude kriek - for Christmas 2018!

No, I don't have recipes for any of the above, but you should be able to find one or improvise one....

A robust porter or stout brewed with oats and chocolate crossing over multiple styles has been a favorite brew idea of mine lately.
One of my boys has a degree in Food Science, so we were discussing chocolate, cocoa powder attributes, and why which brands might be more suitable as a beer adjunct. I leveraged some of his personal and practical experience designing and preparing hand-made chocolates. What he told me was informative.

After a couple years successfully brewing low SRM ales, it's time to take on ambers and darker beers people associate with cooler weather. If that fails, there's always the fallback option of cracking the seal on a bottle of Chimay Blue Grand Reserve stashed in the closet. :)

Plum porter...hmmm will look into that thank you.

White stout - trying to pack coffee/chocolate flavours into a pale beer.
Plum porter - it's that time of year
Chocolate cherry mild - no hurry just yet, but nice to have something a bit weaker during the party season (and in its aftermath), and a nod to those cherry liqueur chocolates you get at Christmas.
Audit Ale - a sort of double English IPA - or at least a 1.5x, traditionally made with the first hops and barley of the new season for drinking in the New Year, on accounts day at Oxford & Cambridge universities.
Oude kriek - for Christmas 2018!

No, I don't have recipes for any of the above, but you should be able to find one or improvise one....

Yeah was thinking something like that...choc...van..

A robust porter or stout brewed with oats and chocolate crossing over multiple styles has been a favorite brew idea of mine lately.
One of my boys has a degree in Food Science, so we were discussing chocolate, cocoa powder attributes, and why which brands might be more suitable as a beer adjunct. I leveraged some of his personal and practical experience designing and preparing hand-made chocolates. What he told me was informative.

After a couple years successfully brewing low SRM ales, it's time to take on ambers and darker beers people associate with cooler weather. If that fails, there's always the fallback option of cracking the seal on a bottle of Chimay Blue Grand Reserve stashed in the closet. :)

I want to do something similar to SA Winter Lager. "Brewed with orange peel, cinnamon and ginger." A mock lager in my case.

I want to do something similar to SA Winter Lager. "Brewed with orange peel, cinnamon and ginger." A mock lager in my case.

hmmm that might be intersting, i've never tried a winter lager before...

Brewing a Christmas-spiced gruit today for the 12 Beers of Christmas swap. Probably a little late, but hoping 3-4 months will be enough for it to mellow out somewhat. I still have some of the bourbon spiced stout I brewed last year too, looking forward to trying that after a year in bottles.

I'd go for something like a vanilla porter for this year and brew a big ol' imperial stout or quad for next year.

I have a robust porter w Rye and a dash of pumpkin/holiday spices that I'm gonna barrel age... should come in around 7%

Then I have my big ass imperial stout "the full wendigo" that was a partguile with my Oktoberfest. Basically a mazen recipe with a bunch of dark malts added in a reiterated mash, its in the barrel and already tasting great.

There is also Barleywine, you could do that too. But get it done asap to start aging.

Winter brews, in my opinion, are something strong, sweet, rich, and warming that you can sip slowly and savor, having one or two of while sitting next to the fireplace as the snow comes quietly falling down outside.

Back