Ideas for a orange cream ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mirageags

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Let me start off by saying this is my first post and i just brewed my first beer, so read the theory but i am a beginner. went a little crazy and wife and i have a chocolate mint milk stout ready to go in secondary.
Son was sad he missed out so soon ill start the next batch, lots of ideas and id like to do an orange cream ale. A few questions and ideas for this. Being bew i may just tweak a kit for a cream ale.
For the orange, what would be the best way for a medium orange taste, i want it to be similar to a creamier version of buffalo bills orange cream ale. Orange Extract in the secondary or bottling, or would boiling with something be better? Has anyone boiled actual oranges or concentrate? Oranges in a secondary?
Id like this to turn out slightly creamier than a standard cream ale, has anyone ever used a little lactose in the boil like a milk stout? Im looking for a slight taste like eating a orange cream popsicle.
All of your extensive experience would be a great help. I have enjoyed reading and learning everyones experiences here lately!

Dried sweet orange peel along with some fresh orange zest added the last 15 minutes of the boil works well. You can get sweet dried orange peel from your LHBS or any online brewing supply store. I brew a wheat with orange and use 2 oz dried and zest a fresh naval orange. I get a fair amount of orange flavor and aroma from it.

From there any lightly hopped cream ale recipe or kit will do the trick.

Thanks for the ideas. Looks like i was spot on for the creaminess with lactose. the kit supplies it, wasnt sure how it would be for a cream ale. Can fresh oranges also be used in a boil or is that a bad idea?

Latest posts

Back