Ideal time in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dropitlikesitshot

Reaction score
Hello,

Well I'm on my 7th extract brew and have a question about yeast fermentation times in the primary. After watching everything about brewing beer over the past several months I'm noticing that major breweries mention they ferment in the primary for several days vice two weeks or longer.
So my question is: Is the better technique to follow the recipe and let it ferment in the primary for two or more weeks or should I transfer to secondary when I see the krauzen (sp) fall, yeast settle at the bottom, and air lock activity is very slow?

What I Brew: Ales only. Normally, medium to high starting OG.

Thanks

medium to high starting gravity? all my porters and stouts routinely get a month in primary. Ambient temp also comes into play. Do you ferment in a room, closet, etc or do you use temperature control (I started fermenting in a spare fridge with a temp controller this year).

Like most biological organisms, yeast will slow down at lower temperatures. You want to make sure you're keeping them cool enough that they're not throwing off an excess of esters and off flavors. But keep them warm enough that they will reach terminal gravity.

But what happens after initial fermentation is done is as important as what happens during the initial stage. In their quest to create CO2 and ethanol, yeast create all manner of chemical compounds that we humans just do not find that appealing. Allowing your beer a little more time on the yeast cake after you "think" fermentation is done gives the little guys ample time to break down those undesireable compounds and create a generally more stable, more polished finished product.

As for a rule of thumb on time, I generally wait until I hit my target FG, then add at least 2 weeks (since I ferment in the 62-65F range for most ales). I go another week or so on a big beer.

I will only secondary a really big beer, or one that I intend to dry hop. Most of my standard, day-to-day beers skip secondary and go straight to packaging after 3-4 weeks in primary.

I feel brewing is an art. Takes time to develop.

The big breweries are major commercial concerns, and have it down to a science to produce beer as quick as possible.

They stick to a very few recipes, have pitching rates perfected, ferment temps controlled to the degree, and everything is repeatable.

If you rush your beer, you will have the potential for dyecetyl, high FGs, lots of sediment in the bottle, and bottle bombs. Take your time and the beer will be better.

Thanks all for the insight.

@winvarin I have my carboy in a closet now since the garage is colder than I would like now. It keeps at 70 constant.
Also I will continue to keep young beer in the primary for a min of 2 weeks. Also I understand that even though the cake is at the bottom there is still awesome things happening.

But one question. Does anyone spin there beer to swirl up a some cake to encourage action? Or is it better to just leave be?

Thanks and Merry Christmas and Merry Festivus!

I've only swirled or rocked my carboys if a hydrometer reading showed I had not yet reached my desired FG but that the yeast dropped largely out of suspension and krausen subsided. Just to kick things back into gear you know.

For the most part though, since I don't secondary most beers, I try to avoid disturbing the yeast cake. It helps with clarity.

But one question. Does anyone spin there beer to swirl up a some cake to encourage action? Or is it better to just leave be?

Not something you want to do unless it is absolutley necessary to try and restart a stuck fermentation. You run the risk of getting oxygen into the beer.

Back