Ideal Temperature for Double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlhammond

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am brewing a kit from Midwest supplies, Ferocious IPA to be exact. What is the most ideal temperature for primary and secondary fermentation? I live in Nebraska, basement stays about 68 year round. Is this ideal for my fermentation?

Thanks and Cheers!

Hi folks,

I am brewing a kit from Midwest supplies, Ferocious IPA to be exact. What is the most ideal temperature for primary and secondary fermentation? I live in Nebraska, basement stays about 68 year round. Is this ideal for my fermentation?

Thanks and Cheers!

Fermentation temperature is determined by the yeast strain, but most ale strains have optimum temperature ranges of 62-72 or so. In your 68 degree basement, that's actually a bit on the warm side because fermentation itself produces heat and an active fermentation can easily go 8-10 degrees higher than ambient!

You could try to find a cooler spot, or put the fermenter in a cooler with an ice bath and swap out frozen water bottles as needed to keep the temperature at 65-68 degrees.

Fermentation temperature is determined by the yeast strain, but most ale strains have optimum temperature ranges of 62-72 or so. In your 68 degree basement, that's actually a bit on the warm side because fermentation itself produces heat and an active fermentation can easily go 8-10 degrees higher than ambient!

You could try to find a cooler spot, or put the fermenter in a cooler with an ice bath and swap out frozen water bottles as needed to keep the temperature at 65-68 degrees.

What Yooper Said!, you beat me to it by 30 seconds

Back