Ideal temp range to carb/condition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rave808

Reaction score
Once I bottle my ale what is an ideal temperature range to carbonate/condition ales? Just asking cause my spare room that I keep my bottled beer in is a little cooler in winter time

70-72 is what I shoot for. How cool is the room? If it's too cold, it will take the bottles longer to carb.

I've cellared my carbing/conditioning beer (around 65 degrees) and I've stored it in my kitchen pantry (around 70 degrees.) I find it's faster to store it in the 70's but I haven't really noticed if it tastes better conditioning in slightly colder temps.
My next batch maybe I'll split it up and put half in the basement and half in the pantry and see if there's a difference. I played with the idea that when carbing you're adding more sugar thus starting a mini re-fermentation. So maybe I'll split the next batch into thirds... a third in the basement, a third in the pantry and a third in the basement for a week and then move it upstairs to the pantry since fermentation temps are better in the basement. Maybe there will be a difference? There might be I suppose but probably not enough to notice.

I can't wait to start kegging.... :rockin:

Once I bottle my ale what is an ideal temperature range to carbonate/condition ales? Just asking cause my spare room that I keep my bottled beer in is a little cooler in winter time

I read somewhere (wish I could remember where) that you should bottle carb beer at room temps because the yeast needs to be a little warm to work well. After about a week at 70F +/- its best to move the beer to a cooler location since cold beer will absorb the CO2 better.

This is the practice I've been following and it is working pretty well for me. Room temp for a week or so then out to the garage. This time of year the garage stays at 40-50 most of the time. Some beers are served at that temperature and others go to the fridge for chilling before serving.

I'm not a chemist so I can't vouch for the chemistry involved, but, like I said, it seems to work.

I keep them around 70F for 3-4 weeks before 1-2 weeks fridge time for good head,carbonation & clarity/flavor/aroma.

I've kept beers at 72 to 74 degrees for over 2 years and they taste just as good now as when they went into storage. If I had the cool room that's where I would store them.

Back