Idaho gem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirty_martini

Reaction score
Just wondering about anyone’s feedback on this hop. The description mentions a candied fruit/jolly rancher like quality which reminds me of el dorado a bit.

I’m planning a classic west coast hoppy red in the vein of nugget nectar, hop head red, etc. I figured pairing it with some classic dank piney hops like chinook and summit to tame the sugary quality while letting the fruit come through.

Any feedback on the hop is appreciated

Ive used a couple lbs of it. It does have a candied red fruit flavor to it which is unique, but its not as prominent as the descriptions make it seem, or as fruit foward as el dorado at all. Theres a significant amount of c hop resin and grapefruit as well. Its a fine IPA hop and blends well with others, but its far darker than el dorado.

Ive used a couple lbs of it. It does have a candied red fruit flavor to it which is unique, but its not as prominent as the descriptions make it seem, or as fruit foward as el dorado at all. Theres a significant amount of c hop resin and grapefruit as well. Its a fine IPA hop and blends well with others, but its far darker than el dorado.
Yeah. I was more referring to how el dorado has that candy sweetness more than it’s general character. Thanks for that clarification. How potent is the aroma?

Just wondering about anyone’s feedback on this hop. The description mentions a candied fruit/jolly rancher like quality which reminds me of el dorado a bit.

I’m planning a classic west coast hoppy red in the vein of nugget nectar, hop head red, etc. I figured pairing it with some classic dank piney hops like chinook and summit to tame the sugary quality while letting the fruit come through.

Any feedback on the hop is appreciated

Of course you know that Nugget Nectar is a product from here on the East Coast (Troeg's Brewing, Hershey, PA) o_O, and NOT a WC IPA? The brewery's just up the road a couple' hours' drive from here. Great tour, great atmosphere, fiercely maintaining their independent status. Absolutely love the place and their beer. Be sure to post your recipe for Nugget, and take a look at Troeg's "Perpetual" IPA as well. Nugget is seasonal, but Perpetual is year 'round, and I might actually like it better. I'm quite a fan of the WC IPA style, from San Diego to Seattle.

Of course you know that Nugget Nectar is a product from here on the East Coast (Troeg's Brewing, Hershey, PA) o_O, and NOT a WC IPA? The brewery's just up the road a couple' hours' drive from here. Great tour, great atmosphere, fiercely maintaining their independent status. Absolutely love the place and their beer. Be sure to post your recipe for Nugget, and take a look at Troeg's "Perpetual" IPA as well. Nugget is seasonal, but Perpetual is year 'round, and I might actually like it better. I'm quite a fan of the WC IPA style, from San Diego to Seattle.
Of course. But it has more of the classic bitterness and pungent hops that I associate with west coasts. There is no real west coast red...just it was more common there say 10 years ago and I wanted to use a reference another part of the country might know and NN is probably the best known on the east coast. Just listing bear republic, Alesmith, modern times, etc might not have gotten the same responses.

Just dug this up from my archives. I think it's from Troeg's blog from 2016, but I never got around to brewing it. I'm not sure where Idaho Gem would fit into the hop schedule. I've used Idaho 7 a few times but never Gem. Swapped one for one with Nugget, it would change the whole character of the beer, so I don't know if it would work the way you want. In any event, here it is:

Nugget Nectar

2#/14% Pilsner (1.8*L)
5#/33% Dark Munich (I've got 20*L written down, but it's probably 10*L, and surely isn't CaraMunich)*
8#/53% Vienna (3.0*L)
*might need an ounce or two of some roasted malt to impart its deep orange hue

1.00 oz Nugget FWH :75 minutes
1.00 oz Warrior :60 minutes
1.00 oz Palisade :10 minutes
1.00 oz Nugget :05 minutes
1.00 oz Nugget :01 minutes
1.00 oz CTZ :01 minutes
0.50 oz Simcoe :01 minutes

1.00 oz Nugget DH 3 days before packaging
0.50 oz Simcoe DH 3 days before packaging

OG 1.069
FG 1.013
ABV 7.5%
IBUs ~93ish

Yeah. I was more referring to how el dorado has that candy sweetness more than it’s general character. Thanks for that clarification. How potent is the aroma?

Its med-high aroma. More than cascade less than mosaic or simcoe. In my experience.

Just dug this up from my archives. I think it's from Troeg's blog from 2016, but I never got around to brewing it. I'm not sure where Idaho Gem would fit into the hop schedule. I've used Idaho 7 a few times but never Gem. Swapped one for one with Nugget, it would change the whole character of the beer, so I don't know if it would work the way you want. In any event, here it is:

Nugget Nectar

2#/14% Pilsner (1.8*L)
5#/33% Dark Munich (I've got 20*L written down, but it's probably 10*L, and surely isn't CaraMunich)*
8#/53% Vienna (3.0*L)
*might need an ounce or two of some roasted malt to impart its deep orange hue

1.00 oz Nugget FWH :75 minutes
1.00 oz Warrior :60 minutes
1.00 oz Palisade :10 minutes
1.00 oz Nugget :05 minutes
1.00 oz Nugget :01 minutes
1.00 oz CTZ :01 minutes
0.50 oz Simcoe :01 minutes

1.00 oz Nugget DH 3 days before packaging
0.50 oz Simcoe DH 3 days before packaging

OG 1.069
FG 1.013
ABV 7.5%
IBUs ~93ish

im not going to go as rich on the malt, but bigger on the hopping. Definitely taking the older style and updating it a bit with a more modern hopping rate.

OG 1.065
FG 1.014
ABV 6.7%
IBUs 70-80
80% efficiency
12#of grain
68.5% Pearl malt 2.8L
25% dark Munich 8.8L
5% melanoidin 22L
1.5% pale chocolate 225L

.5oz summit 60min
.5oz summit 30min
4oz Idaho gem WP 170F 30 minutes
Ferment with s-04 at 64

post fermentation dry hop 3 days @ 55F
4oz Idaho gem
2oz summit
2oz chinook

going with 2:1 so4:Cl. 200:100. Focus on the bitterness cutting through the malt, but a little Cl to lend some mouthfeel

im not going to go as rich on the malt, but bigger on the hopping. Definitely taking the older style and updating it a bit with a more modern hopping rate.

OG 1.065
FG 1.014
ABV 6.7%
IBUs 70-80
80% efficiency
12#of grain
68.5% Pearl malt 2.8L
25% dark Munich 8.8L
5% melanoidin 22L
1.5% pale chocolate 225L

.5oz summit 60min
.5oz summit 30min
4oz Idaho gem WP 170F 30 minutes
Ferment with s-04 at 64

post fermentation dry hop 3 days @ 55F
4oz Idaho gem
2oz summit
2oz chinook

going with 2:1 so4:Cl. 200:100. Focus on the bitterness cutting through the malt, but a little Cl to lend some mouthfeel
That looks Really good. The melanoidin and chocolate should add a nice orange mahogany color and counter-balance the massive hops. Moderate Cl:S04 ratio unlike the enormous sulfate load in NEIPAs. I like it.

Brooo Brother

Latest posts

Back