How much El Dorado

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
Using El Dorado for the first time. I've read everything I can find on the hop. Seems like an odd hop.

On the low end its reported to give Pineapple Mango citrus fruit (good)

On the high end its reported to give candied cherries and watermelon jolly rancher. (bad)

I also read dry hopping with it will REALLY bring out the candy sweetness

I was thinking of dry hopping with some to bring out the pineapple mando but I'm a bit concerned to do it.

I also read mixing them was a better idea than a solo hop so what I have fermenting now is:

All added at 155 steep for an hour ...12 gallon batch
Citra Amarillo Cascade 2 oz each
3 oz Eldorado

So what is considered low and high amounts and what should I expect?

Should I mix some into the dryhop?...DONT want Candied sweetness...pineapple mango would be good

Using El Dorado for the first time. I've read everything I can find on the hop. Seems like an odd hop.

On the low end its reported to give Pineapple Mango citrus fruit (good)

On the high end its reported to give candied cherries and watermelon jolly rancher. (bad)

I also read dry hopping with it will REALLY bring out the candy sweetness

I was thinking of dry hopping with some to bring out the pineapple mando but I'm a bit concerned to do it.

I also read mixing them was a better idea than a solo hop so what I have fermenting now is:

All added at 155 steep for an hour ...12 gallon batch
Citra Amarillo Cascade 2 oz each
3 oz Eldorado

So what is considered low and high amounts and what should I expect?

Should I mix some into the dryhop?...DONT want Candied sweetness...pineapple mango would be good

i used it once it was sweet but i cant remember the exact flavor. but i think some of the sweetness was the beer FG. i would do some Amarillo and use another hop to build up the flavor profile you are looking for.

Why is the cherry/melon rancher character bad? That's the main point of el-dorado.

I have never got pineapple or mango from it. If you want that use citra.

Why is the cherry/melon rancher character bad? That's the main point of el-dorado.

I have never got pineapple or mango from it. If you want that use citra.
I've had cherry beers and dont like them. Watermelon beers dont sound any better. Obviosley it will be less pronounced than a cherry beer but I've read it can be a Jolly Rancher Bomb with El Dorado and thats what I'm trying to avoid. I've also read it can be real good without that at lower levels...and the reason for the thread. Whats that threshold amount for flavor change?

The El Dorado I have now is a lemon bomb actually. I think this variety has quite a bit of variability from batch to batch. I know that doesn't answer your question. Just an observation.

I've had cherry beers and dont like them. Watermelon beers dont sound any better. Obviosley it will be less pronounced than a cherry beer but I've read it can be a Jolly Rancher Bomb with El Dorado and thats what I'm trying to avoid. I've also read it can be real good without that at lower levels...and the reason for the thread. Whats that threshold amount for flavor change?
El Dorado is not super strong hop, the term bomb is not really something your ever get from it even if you use large amounts. Also it tastes nothing like a fruit beer, it's much more like a hard candy/sweet.

I also I don't agree with the post above, one it's quite a consistent hop.

It plays nicely with citrus hops like equinot and soft fruit ones like mosaic.

Don't expect it to be super strong though, it's one of the milder ipa type hops, mosaic, Simcoe, citra, galaxy, Denali etc are all much more intense.

If you have ever used belma, it's similar to that in intensity, maybe a touch stronger. The primary reason for its use is it's sweet character which goes well as a supporting hop in ipa's.

As for amounts, I have used 4oz and 6oz in pale before, and 8oz in an IPA. None where over powering, if anything I would want a more intense character if I could get it. With a 3oz dry hop you will be fine, in fact I expect you will not get a high amount of aroma.

As for amounts, I have used 4oz and 6oz in pale before, and 8oz in an IPA. None where over powering, if anything I would want a more intense character if I could get it. With a 3oz dry hop you will be fine, in fact I expect you will not get a high amount of aroma.
Thanks for the input. I'll be dry hopping tomorrow. I'll go with 2 oz and maybe mix with something else. Pine hops sounds like it might balance out all my citrus hops in the beer but I'm running low on Centennial and thats all I have in the pine dept.

A citrus hop would work well, pine not so much imo. Maybe even something a simple as cascade would work

You can give it a go, just in my mind el-dorado and pine are not obvious pairings. If you don't want anymore citrus, maybe something slightly spicy could be good. Especially since mango and spice is a great combination. Perhaps some calypso to get some black tea quality or some saaz? Just throwing out some things to think about.

You can give it a go, just in my mind el-dorado and pine are not obvious pairings. If you don't want anymore citrus, maybe something slightly spicy could be good. Especially since mango and spice is a great combination. Perhaps some calypso to get some black tea quality or some saaz? Just throwing out some things to think about.
getting off topic but Goose Island IPA is one of my favorite IPAs and uses Fuggles...not normally in an IPA. Just goes to show how versatile hops are.

I usually think of hop combinations in terms of complimentary or contrasting. I usually will do with 2 complimentary hops and 1 contrasting. So often having a small amount of a earth or spicy hop in an IPA often does work well especially if you looking for a nice balance.

Latest posts

Back