Idaho #7 or Galaxy in a hazy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both are good but might be easier to pick if you told us what the other two you are planning to use are.

I have an neipa featuring Galaxy that I've brewed 6 times over the last two years with the latest 10 gallon batch just this week. Love that one.
Also, did my first neipa with Idaho 7 three weeks ago. Should be conditioned by now, just waiting on a different keg to kick so I can swap in two freshies at the same time.

The only reference I have for Idaho is Sierra Nevada's Fantastic Haze which I thought was indeed a fantastic hazy brew...

Cheers!

I think Galaxy is the easy choice should be killer with the other two. If you want to go out of the box Idaho-7 could be really interesting. I would go Idaho-7 for no better reason than I have 1lb of that in my freezer

I don't think one could make a bad decision here :) I love Galaxy (probably more than most folks) and everything I've read about Idaho 7 has been highly complementary (fingers crossed, I'll know myself in a day or two)...

Cheers!

Subbed, I also have 8oz of Idaho 7 in my freezer that I haven't decided what to do with yet (wonderful husband read my mind and bought some with last flash sale at YVH). I'm considering pairing it with Mosaic and El Dorado, the ED for bittering and the Mosaic/Idaho 7 as late/dry hop additions on a two-row/light munich base.

So I went with Idaho #7....and Amarillo and Citra.

Did a 3.5 gallon batch as my first hazy...SWMBO is not an IPA fan, so I limit the amount I'll drink.

1oz of each in a whirlpool. Fermenting now. Smelled fantastic going into the fermenter. Pitched Imperial Yeast "Juice".

First dry hop: 1oz Citra, 1oz Idaho, .50 Amarillo
Second dry hop: .50 Citra, 1oz Idaho, 1oz Amarillo

Thanks for the input!

My other 2 hops are Amarillo and Citra.
Both with work. Idaho 7 will accentuate orange notes when paired with Amarillo and Citra. Galaxy will bring a tropical punch with those two. Also, Galaxy/Amarillo is most likely the hop combo in Tree house - Green

I like both...have used Galaxy, Idaho 7 and Ella in a NEIPA that has done well in comps. Call it the Down Under Express from Idaho.

Subbed, I also have 8oz of Idaho 7 in my freezer that I haven't decided what to do with yet (wonderful husband read my mind and bought some with last flash sale at YVH). I'm considering pairing it with Mosaic and El Dorado, the ED for bittering and the Mosaic/Idaho 7 as late/dry hop additions on a two-row/light munich base.

Not to hijack or resurrect an old thread, but I am doing a NEIPA with Eldorado, Mosaic and I7. Do you do this, and how did it turn out?

Not to hijack or resurrect an old thread, but I am doing a NEIPA with Eldorado, Mosaic and I7. Do you do this, and how did it turn out?
I did, and it turned out pretty good. None of the hops were super forward and they played well together. For another one I'm going to leave out the Munich and just have a basic malt base and let the hops shine.

I have an neipa featuring Galaxy that I've brewed 6 times over the last two years with the latest 10 gallon batch just this week. Love that one.
Also, did my first neipa with Idaho 7 three weeks ago. Should be conditioned by now, just waiting on a different keg to kick so I can swap in two freshies at the same time.

The only reference I have for Idaho is Sierra Nevada's Fantastic Haze which I thought was indeed a fantastic hazy brew...

Cheers!

Wen and how do you use it or do you mind sharing the recipe? I'd love to brew a day tripper neipa!

I'm going to go with the Fantastic Haze clone, but if I guessed wrong let me know and I'll post the Galaxy-featured version (which tbh is not all that different save for the hops). I share everything here - never understood why one wouldn't :)

Cheers!
fantastic_haze_Page_1.jpg

I did, and it turned out pretty good. None of the hops were super forward and they played well together. For another one I'm going to leave out the Munich and just have a basic malt base and let the hops shine.
Can you post the recipe? What about the hop combo did you like? What about the hop combo would you change?

@Dgallo gave a great combo recommendation in the NEIPA thread: Idaho7, Strata, Citra. I went 1:1 I7:Strata hot side and 2:1:1 citra:I7:strata in post soft crash DH. Bangin!

Can you post the recipe? What about the hop combo did you like? What about the hop combo would you change?
After going through my notes it appears I DIDN'T use Munich, just straight two row. This is why I keep notes. Anyway:

14lbs 2-row

Mashed at 152 for 60 minutes

Got about 1.040 preboil, SG was 1.065

NO bittering hop, just 1oz each of Mosaic and Idaho 7 at 15, 10, 5, and 1.5oz each at flameout

Dry hopped with 1oz each at 7 days for 4 days then kegged

Mosaic is my absolute favorite hop, and a powerful one; but the Idaho 7 added some deeper stone fruit flavor/aroma that was pretty good.

Latest posts

Back