Idaho #7 or Galaxy in a hazy?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ArizonaGoalie

Reaction score
I'm looking for my 3rd hop in a hazy IPA.

Idaho #7 or Galaxy?

Your personal pick and why?

Thx!

ajm163

Reaction score
Both are good but might be easier to pick if you told us what the other two you are planning to use are.

day_trippr

Covid-19 Vaccine Effectivity Test Subject
Reaction score
I have an neipa featuring Galaxy that I've brewed 6 times over the last two years with the latest 10 gallon batch just this week. Love that one.
Also, did my first neipa with Idaho 7 three weeks ago. Should be conditioned by now, just waiting on a different keg to kick so I can swap in two freshies at the same time.

The only reference I have for Idaho is Sierra Nevada's Fantastic Haze which I thought was indeed a fantastic hazy brew...

Cheers!

ajm163

Reaction score
I think Galaxy is the easy choice should be killer with the other two. If you want to go out of the box Idaho-7 could be really interesting. I would go Idaho-7 for no better reason than I have 1lb of that in my freezer

day_trippr

Covid-19 Vaccine Effectivity Test Subject
Reaction score
I don't think one could make a bad decision here :) I love Galaxy (probably more than most folks) and everything I've read about Idaho 7 has been highly complementary (fingers crossed, I'll know myself in a day or two)...

Cheers!

seatazzz

Well-Known Bloviator & Pontificator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Subbed, I also have 8oz of Idaho 7 in my freezer that I haven't decided what to do with yet (wonderful husband read my mind and bought some with last flash sale at YVH). I'm considering pairing it with Mosaic and El Dorado, the ED for bittering and the Mosaic/Idaho 7 as late/dry hop additions on a two-row/light munich base.

OP
ArizonaGoalie

ArizonaGoalie

Reaction score
So I went with Idaho #7....and Amarillo and Citra.

Did a 3.5 gallon batch as my first hazy...SWMBO is not an IPA fan, so I limit the amount I'll drink.

1oz of each in a whirlpool. Fermenting now. Smelled fantastic going into the fermenter. Pitched Imperial Yeast "Juice".

First dry hop: 1oz Citra, 1oz Idaho, .50 Amarillo
Second dry hop: .50 Citra, 1oz Idaho, 1oz Amarillo

Thanks for the input!

Dgallo

If you ain’t first, you’re last Ricky Bobby
Reaction score
My other 2 hops are Amarillo and Citra.
Both with work. Idaho 7 will accentuate orange notes when paired with Amarillo and Citra. Galaxy will bring a tropical punch with those two. Also, Galaxy/Amarillo is most likely the hop combo in Tree house - Green

jdauria

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I like both...have used Galaxy, Idaho 7 and Ella in a NEIPA that has done well in comps. Call it the Down Under Express from Idaho.