Pennsylvania I'd like to move to Pittsburgh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20201216_220015.jpg

Thanks, although with the winter pandemic surge we probably need to wait until spring; not to mention the current snow event.

I hear ya there, my daughter came back for a visit and she was laid off until further notice so I think she is going to stay till after Christmas.

Are you from the east coast? Here we only got about 6 inches, totally manageable, this is the first real snow since we came back 2 years ago so I was totally stoked! I enjoy the cold and snow over the heat and after living in Ca I know this for sure.

I hear ya there, my daughter came back for a visit and she was laid off until further notice so I think she is going to stay till after Christmas.

Are you from the east coast? Here we only got about 6 inches, totally manageable, this is the first real snow since we came back 2 years ago so I was totally stoked! I enjoy the cold and snow over the heat and after living in Ca I know this for sure.
West coast: Northern California.

My family has been in Pennsylvania for several generations. Currently, it's a $#!%show. If I knew where I wanted to go I would leave. I am a musician so right now every state sucks because of the pandemic.

It’s a whole different world out here, (although That’s how I felt out there) I guess part of it is where your from and what your used too.
I was born in Allentown and left at 11 and spent 3.5 years there in my early 20s.
The only way I can afford living here is living on a relative's property. On the other hand I see multiple listings on realtor. com in various Pittsburgh suburbs that would cost less to buy than what I'm paying for rent.

If I had to move closer to Pittsburgh I would stay in Butler county and move close to Harmony. It's quaint and quite lovely.

The only way I can afford living here is living on a relative's property. On the other hand I see multiple listings on realtor. com in various Pittsburgh suburbs that would cost less to buy than what I'm paying for rent.
You're in California?
Yes, you can easily buy a house here in Western PA for less than rent in many areas. No surf, less sun and the only California girls are in California PA, which is about 35 miles from Pittsburgh.
Many of the cheaper neighborhoods in Pittsburgh are somewhat run down and there are hassles with parking and also crime, drug and gang issues.
If you really have to be in a city, then OK, go for it, but if you just want to be in the area, get a map and start looking around the region, there are plenty of great small towns within 60 miles or so. If you're handy with home repairs, fixer-upper properties are super cheap. It all comes down to work, will your job require you to be in the city? If not, the city is a great place to visit, but living somewhere else may work out better.

You're in California?
Yes, you can easily buy a house here in Western PA for less than rent in many areas.
Many of the cheaper neighborhoods in Pittsburgh are somewhat run down and there are hassles with parking and also crime, drug and gang issues.
If you really have to be in a city, then OK, go for it, but if you just want to be in the area, get a map and start looking around the region, there are plenty of great small towns within 60 miles or so. If you're handy with home repairs, fixer-upper properties are super cheap. It all comes down to work, will your job require you to be in the city? If not, the city is a great place to visit, but living somewhere else may work out better.
Pittsburgh itself is rated about as safe as where I used to live in Washington.
I've been researching the Pittsburgh suburbs and some of them are rated pretty safe. Plus they are in easy commuting distance from the highly rated Pittsburgh V A hospital. I plan to use public transportation as much as possible.
I'm retired so job location is not a factor.
I will be using a V A loan so a fixer-upper is not an option.

Latest posts

Back