I'd like to convert this recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT2sum

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone out there has an AG version of this recipe - I like Taddy, and I know there are a lot of recipes (a few of which I've tried, but NOT as good as the real thing!) I no longer have access to Taddy, so I'm hoping this can be converted (Edme Super Flavex is no longer available AFAIK) by someone who has been around long enough to remember how to convert some of these old syrups (LME). Apparently Cottage Brewing supply is no longer around either - maybe someone knows Henry W. Jones IV ;>)!

PORTER
5 gallons, extract/specialty grains
Henry W. Jones IV Cottage Brewing Supply Rochester, N.Y.
"A good clone of Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter.
Tastes like a good porter should."
Ingredients:
• 1 can Edme Super Flavex unhopped dark syrup
• 1 lb. Munton's light dry malt extract
• 1.5 lbs. Munton's amber dry malt extract
• 0.5 lb. American crystal malt, 40° Lovibond
• 0.5 lb. English chocolate malt
• 0.25 lb. black patent malt
• 2 oz. Fuggle hops (8.8% alpha acid), for 60 min.
• 0.5 oz. Willamette hops (4% alpha acid), for 15 min.
• Wyeast 1098 (British ale)
Step by Step:
Add grains to 1.5 gals. water and steep at 155° F for 30 min. Remove grains, bring to a boil, and add extracts and Fuggle hops. Boil for 45 min. Add Willamette. Boil for 15 more minutes and add to fermenter. Pitch yeast when cooled to 70° F. Prime with corn sugar. OG = 1.050 FG = 1.013

At the same time, it would be helpful to a lot of us if the knowledge of how to convert these various LMEs and DMEs to all grain was available - anyone know any websites or charts that are available?

You could probably just use Maris Otter and Brown malt in place of your extracts, bump the crystal up a bit and leave the rest the same:

74% 7 lbs Maris Otter
10.5% 1 lb Brown
8% 0.75 lbs C40 (or maybe C60 instead)
5% 0.5 lbs Chocolate
2.5% 0.25 lbs Black Patent.

I don't know how close it would be to Taddy, but should be in the ballpark. It's not far off my house porter, but I omit BP and use 10% C80.

It would be helpful to a lot of us if the knowledge of how to convert these various LMEs and DMEs to all grain was available - anyone know any websites or charts that are available?

Just use your favourite search engine & type in "malt extract to grain conversion" and you'll get a few hits.

I would recommend obtaining a copy of beersmith. It makes it really easy to convert extract recipes from extract to all grain. I would convert and post for you however I am no where near my home pc.

You could probably just use Maris Otter and Brown malt in place of your extracts, bump the crystal up a bit and leave the rest the same:

74% 7 lbs Maris Otter
10.5% 1 lb Brown
8% 0.75 lbs C40 (or maybe C60 instead)
5% 0.5 lbs Chocolate
2.5% 0.25 lbs Black Patent.

I don't know how close it would be to Taddy, but should be in the ballpark. It's not far off my house porter, but I omit BP and use 10% C80.

Thanks, that's kinda what I was looking for ... what other malts that weren't in the 'special grains' that might have been in the "Super Flavex" and the DME! That'll give me a starting point.
I've been using C120 in my own porter, and I've been thinking I may have to tweak it a little, something just a 'little bit off' - maybe I'll follow your suggestion and use/delete the BP and move to C60/C80 and give a spin ... It'll take a few batches to try it both ways, but I enjoy brewing, so that's good with me!
Thanks!

I would recommend obtaining a copy of beersmith. It makes it really easy to convert extract recipes from extract to all grain. I would convert and post for you however I am no where near my home pc.
Yeah, I've got and used Beersmith for other brews, but if you have no idea of what they might have used in the original LME and DME (in this case 'Super Flavex - whatever that may have been), my thought was to get other opinions as to which other grains may have been used in it's manufacture. This way, I have something to experiment with, for instance: I've seen Porter recipes that include Victory, Biscuit, Special B, etc. malts, but I'm not sure that any of them were around when Sam Smith started brewing his 'Taddy' in the early 18th Century (the well was dug in 1758, I don't know when, exactly, the Taddy was first brewed other than "early 18th Century" mentioned on the bottle.!
I think that the Pale (Maris) and Brown malts were probably among the few malts available in that era ..... but I have been known to be wrong once or twice ...... (just ask my wife!).
According to Ron Pattinson's book, black malt didn't come around until about 1816, and prior to that there were just pale and brown malts, although "other substances were allowed to color the Porter until they were banned in 1816". And, in his mention about the early 18th century, he says that in the early 1700's "Early porter was a standard strength (about 1070) beer brewed from 100 percent brown malt that was brewery aged for about six months before sale."
Even Caramel/Crystal was not yet developed, so would not have been used back then, but it's useful now. This isn't meant to be a historical brew, just something close to a clone to the Taddy that's available today.
Thanks for your input, it IS appreciated!.

Latest posts

Back