Iconoclast Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I continue in my search for the perfect name for my brewery. Part of the thought is a name that might stand in the commercial sector if I ever choose to return to that world (note to self: remember why you quit the last time).

Anyway, my lastest, and I think favorite is Iconoclast Brewing. It seems to fit the Brewpastor handle fairly well.

Thoughts?

Maybe something like this (very rough drawing):

NewPicture1.png

Print it on a clear label with the center being "Crack" being clear. Or better yet slik screen the bottles...

I don't think it's the best idea...well with you being a real life pastor, have you read the definition of iconoclast?

iconoclast

1. A breaker or destroyer of images; especially, those set up for religious veneration.

2. A person who attacks cherished beliefs, traditional institutions, etc., as being based on error or superstition.

I like the idea, but every time I try to say it, I wanna say "Iconoblast" instead ...LOL.

I like the look of the label!

ErbiumYAG said:
I don't think it's the best idea...well with you being a real life pastor, have you read the definition of iconoclast?

iconoclast

1. A breaker or destroyer of images; especially, those set up for religious veneration.

2. A person who attacks cherished beliefs, traditional institutions, etc., as being based on error or superstition.

Never mind...I guess it's a Presbyterian thing.

ErbiumYAG said:

iconoclast

Given that he's using a picture of a church window that appears to have had a brick thrown through it, I'm pretty sure BP knows EXACTLY what the definition is... ;)

I think it's cool; the lable is clean and simple, and the name works with your personality and is catchy.

I think it runs lots of ways. First, an iconoclast brewer is going to push definitions and style and not let other's definitions constrain what they do. Second, to my way of thinking an iconoclast claims the freedom of thought and expression and is not bound by the arbitrary parameters. Third, related to my profession, if a pastor can't toss a few rocks through the icons of faith and culture, we might as well hang the whole thing up. Iconoclasts don't have to be individuals who are tossing the baby out with the bath water. I think they are more ones who search for foundations and roots and new ways to express them. There is a difference, at least in my mind, between an iconoclast and an anarchist.

Considering the reaction, I think I have found the name I have been looking for.

I'll throw this out there just because I can.

How about

St John's Wort Brewing

The herb is supposedly a good anti-depressant and brewing is a good anti-depressant, and when you brew you create wort. Double entandre'

(nevermind)

Brewpastor said:
Third, related to my profession, if a pastor can't toss a few rocks throw the icons of faith and culture, we might as well hang the whole thing up. Iconoclasts don't have to be individuals who are tossing the baby out with the bath water. I think they are more ones who search for foundations and roots and new ways to express them. There is a difference, at least in my mind, between an iconoclast and an anarchist.

BP, this is why I have so much respect for you.

That, and your phenomenal setup... ;)

I was thinking that making the window be stained glass would add to the effect.

:off: I'm referring to the brew as "Resurrection 777," since you brought it back from the dead for us.

I guess I think its ironic that you chose the 7.7.7 brew for the label. With 7 being perfect biblically. As apposed to last years community effort. That being the 06.06.06 or the shortened version 666. :confused:

Love the label and the thought behind it.

Al

Shot Drive said:
I guess I think its ironic that you chose the 7.7.7 brew for the label. With 7 being perfect biblically. As apposed to last years community effort. That being the 06.06.06 or the shortened version 666. :confused:

Love the label and the thought behind it.

Al

Thanks. I have found the 777 to be a interesting number related to this beer but only used it because of the group brewing. This name thing (iconoclast) might be read as a blast at religion, but it is not. I love what I do and my beliefs are central to who I am, but I do believe part of my calling is to knock some holes open so people can see more clearly and be freed to examine and explore their beliefs and find its expression. That applies across my life and to brewing as well (I hope).

how about the "Golden Cow" brewing. that could possible be the complete opposite of your job.

Or perhaps "hedonism brewing"

Both nice.

I think Iconoclast only has a negative reference in Catholicism, with the iconoclastic periods and various pogroms/inquisitions/periods of insanity. However, my last theology class ended almost 12 years ago, so I could be wrong.

Breaking from normality is a fine goal and I like the name.

I like the last logo by ERBIUM! Very nice and smoooooth but with edge! Good choice! Religion is the edge of life,because its the onlything that is truly unknowen......no attact attended!! I will risk it!

Brewpastor said:
Very nice. What did you use to create it? I really need to get something other the draw program that comes with Word!

...Design Pro 5 from the Avery website...the best part is that it can be figured out within an hour of playing around and if you're creative enough, you can make some interesting labels.

Back