Ice storm/ power outage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmadness

Reaction score
So I brewed a nice amber last weekend. Strong fermentation the first couple days and then it died off. Power went off yesterday morning and my house is currently at 50 degrees. No idea when power is to be restored, but I expect my house to get down near freezing before it does as it is about 12 degrees outside with 40 mph winds! I didn’t test the beer, but I’m guessing fermentation was pretty much done. Thoughts on what this drop in temperature so early will do to the beer? Will warming it up after power comes on and stirring up some yeast from the bottom have any benefit?

You should be fine when power comes back and it warms back up.
If the yeast are done, great - here's your cold crash. If not, they should resume activity when they warm back up - likely they're going dormant from the cold, if not now, then soon.
I had a case like that a ways back. Brewed then went away for the weekend. My electric heater shut off, I'm estimating about 2 minutes after I walked out the door. My apartment was about 40 degrees when I got home, but once things warmed up, the yeast went about their business like nothing happened. Ironically, it turned out to be the best batch I'd brewed to that point.

So I brewed a nice amber last weekend. Strong fermentation the first couple days and then it died off. Power went off yesterday morning and my house is currently at 50 degrees. No idea when power is to be restored, but I expect my house to get down near freezing before it does as it is about 12 degrees outside with 40 mph winds! I didn’t test the beer, but I’m guessing fermentation was pretty much done. Thoughts on what this drop in temperature so early will do to the beer? Will warming it up after power comes on and stirring up some yeast from the bottom have any benefit?

The yeast would have quit working if they weren't done and settle to the bottom, dormant. Warming should wake them, swirling should get them back where they need to be for working on your beer.

Back