IBU's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrVix

Reaction score
I want to brew a beer with 40 IBU. Is there a rule or guideline for acheiving IBUs. For example should 66% of the IBU be attained thru bittering hops and 33% thru flavor hops. 1 ounce of hops boiled 1 hour and a 1/2 ounce boiled 20 minutes might yield 40 IBUs. But 3/4 ounce boiled 45 minutes and 3/4 ounce boiled 15 minutes might also yield 40 IBU. Can someone give me a general guideline to follow.

You need determine what you want out of your resulting beer. Do you want to hit 40 IBUs in a high gravity beer, or a low gravity? Are looking for a stark bitterness or a balanced beer. What type of style is this? Let us know and we can assist in a % breakdown of sorts

I think a lot of American Pale ales are moving towards deriving the majority of their bitterness through late additions. I know Matt Brynildson of Firestone Walker is known for only "using enough bittering addition hops to keep the foam down." It is a great way to impart wonderful hop character with a stinging bitterness.

Suds is right, most beers get the majority of their IBUs from early additions. That's actually why english bitters are called that (because they only use a bittering hop).

There has been a trend lately for people to "hopburst" their beers. Hopbursting is basically achieving most or all of the bitterness (IBUs) as late as possible. So instead of 1oz at the 60 minute mark, you might add 4 ounces at the 15 minute mark; the idea is by adding it very late you get all the flavor and aroma, but in order to achieve the IBUs you add a lot more than you normally would (because of reduced hop utilization).

As for me....I mostly use a neutral bittering hop to give me the large majority of my IBUs (but that's just me).

Thanks Guys! I decided to get about 60% of my total IBU's from the early additions and 40% from the late 20 minute addition. I hope this yields a balanced brew. If not...I will experiment more with the next batch.

Back