I wonder what I might have created??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Started with an Oatmeal Stout.

7.5 lbs Maris Otter
1.5 lbs crystal 75
1.5 lbs flaked oats
1.0 lbs chocolate malt
.75 lbs Kiln amber

for a 5 gallon batch.

The remaining wort was about 1.015

I added This to the mash:

5.0 lbs Crisp Pale Ale malt
.10 lbs Peat Smoked malt to the mash

For a 3 gallon batch.

I planned on .25 oz Columbus for 60 min.
and 1 oz. Cascade for 10 minutes but reversed them.

OG =1.058

I have classified it as an American Brown ale and the bitterness is still within range.

I think I am going to dry hop with 2 ounces of Cascade

I will use BRY-97 American West Coast yeast for this.

So did you just have extra 2nd runnings so you created this from it? I've been meaning to do two beers back to back party gyle style and just haven't ever done it. Start with something pretty basic with the first runnings, then add some extra malt, mash again and do something different with the second runnings. Is that what you did?

So did you just have extra 2nd runnings so you created this from it? I've been meaning to do two beers back to back party gyle style and just haven't ever done it. Start with something pretty basic with the first runnings, then add some extra malt, mash again and do something different with the second runnings. Is that what you did?

There was enough mash wort to get the gravity of it. I added the grains and about 2 gallons of water at 168 degrees the mash ended up at 152 degrees - about what I was looking for. I wanted this a bit less sweet than the stout. I then sparged to about 4 gallons preboil.

I did some additions in Beersmith and some guessing in how to figure in the gravity of what was left in the tun. So this was not starting with a high gravity then collecting lower gravity runnings. But, an addition to the grains with something?? left. So for about 5 pounds of base grain and 3.25 ounces of hops and a package of dry yeast I will get 3 gallons of a ?? Ale.

Back