I was a little offended!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tdavisii

Reaction score
As i had mentioned in a previous thread i just returned from a long bike ride. This bike ride went through a lot of Missouri wine country. I guess now its the "cool" thing to have a micro brew at your winery.
I was having a beer in extremely small town in wine country when a gentlemen came in and mentioned he owned a winery and also made beer. A "micro Brewery." I began to talk to him and told him i was also a brewer. This guy knew nothing of brewing and informed me that he uses extract for his beer. Yeah this Do*&he bag, pardon my french was offensive to us all. Claiming micro brewery and not knowing anything of the sort. Has anyone ever heard of this sort of thing. Micro breweries using extract for all their product????? Not that extract brewing is bad but to claim "micro brew" and sell it. Give me a break.

Well do you have a microbrewery? Are you selling your beer? If he can do it, and he's a ****** bag, then why dont you have one?

There are many "microbreweries" that use extract

Yeah, there are quite a few. The ones around me are all grain, but it not absurd be be an extract brewery.

Believe it or not there are a few micro's that use extract for the beer they make. (But, I'm pretty sure they know a bit about brewing).

First off why does making beer with extracts make you a d-bag? If the guy started up his own mico and used extracts (which some do) more power to him. Now if he was arrogant about it, and knew nothing of the process then that does suck.

I didn't know that "micro-brew" stood for "all-grain" though. I will have to research that, possibly just my ignorance.

Whats the name of his place btw?

It's probaby not too common, but I can almost guarantee that there are breweries out there that use extract.

I guess I'd be a little offended - not at the fact that he uses extract, but by the fact that OP indicated he doesn't really seem to know anything about brewing. There is a level of pride that I expect among brewers, and part of that is a curiosity about the craft and a desire to learn as much as you can. I don't think that's really being an EAC, that's just a desire and expectation that people stretch and learn and think about the craft.

Not to mention, owning a brewery does not equal being a brewer. I had a full on conversation with the owner of a large craft brewery, in which he referred to SRM as the bitterness of the beer and RO water as mineral rich. Then later, I had a much better conversation with the actual brewer and got some real good tips and a personal tour.

You can even buy a microbrewery setup for a bar that is basically a huge MR. Beer setup, that you mix water and yeast to the company's presuppled wort. THere was a thread on here about it around thanksgiving.

Hell, if he can make good beer out of monkey brains and used engine oil, more power to him. Talk about EAC...jeez. You were actually offended? Really? You ever read "Designing Great Beers"? Well, in it, Ray Daniels includes, for each style, the major ingredients (along with average proportions) for the beers that make the second round at the NHBC competition. And a lot of them have malt extract as a relatively high proportion. Which means that quite a few *****ebags make it to the second round using extract.

So if using extract is a d-bag move, then sign me up to the bag convention---I'll be at the ****** exhibit (props, Maddox).

Yeah this guy Knew absolutly ZILCH nadda nothing. Like i said nothing bad about extract. I use to do it. If you are going to call yourself a brewer and sell your beer. At least know something. I never tasted his beer but from just talking to him he is probably giving all extract brewers a bad name also. His arrogance toward being a "brewer" talking about making his beer and sucking back his bud light. Maybe you had to hear the conversation.

OMFG-Huge_Mantee.jpg

More than a few brewery owners out there that are in it as business owners and not brewers. 'Fraid I am not really seeing the offense committed other that you apparently knew more about brewing than he did.

Here's the link to the "turnkey brewpub system."

http://www.addabrewpub.com/index.html

tanks2.jpg

This is our complete patented brewpub system. You don't even need a cooler. The tanks are completely insulated and self-refrigerated.

Our malt extract brewpub systems assure absolute consistency and very drinkable beers.

We provide brewing ingredients to make these beers and many more:

American Pilsner (Similar to Fosters’ Lager)
Red Ale (Similar to Bass Ale)
Bock Dark (Similar to Becks’ Dark)
Light Wheat
Red Wheat
Dark Wheat
Pale Ale
Nut Brown Ale
Stout

You can brew all the popular specialty beers, such as Honey and Raspberry. A unique feature of our system is that it greatly enhances your food business. If you make your own pizza dough or dinner rolls, our malt and the pure yeast produced from each brew will make your sales soar.

Here’s all you need for physical requirements:

Only 20 to 80 square feet. Tile floor must support 1800 pounds on 3 legs. Standard floor drain. Have a plumber install valved half-inch hot and cold water lines ending in one 3/8 in. hose barb. You only need four standard 110 volt sockets.

4 turnkey brewpub systems: 310 Gallon - $38,000 465 Gallon - $50,000 620 Gallon - $62,000 1240 Gallon - $92,000 Includes heater, combination fermentation/serving tanks, glycol chiller, stainless steel beer faucets, and all hoses, valves, carbonator and gauges. — Ready to brew.

The delivered price of a complete set of ingredients to make 10 barrels of beer (20 keg equivalent) is $550. West of Mississippi, $590.

Call the Federal BATF at (513) 684-2238 and request a brewpub license packet. Operating a brewpub requires only a refundable bond of $1000 and Federal tax of $500 a year. The federal excise tax is $3.50 a keg. A State brewery permit must also be obtained. This is not the same as a liquor license. Contact the TTB at ttb.gov for a brewpub application.
If you have any questions, please call me at (919) 929-8848 - Leigh Beadle

Yeah this guy Knew absolutly ZILCH nadda nothing. Like i said nothing bad about extract. I use to do it. If you are going to call yourself a brewer and sell your beer. At least know something. I never tasted his beer but from just talking to him he is probably giving all extract brewers a bad name also. His arrogance toward being a "brewer" talking about making his beer and sucking back his bud light. Maybe you had to hear the conversation.

You never tasted his beer, but here you are judging him on a public forum......

There sure is a dusche bag in this story, but it aint him

As i said earlier for those who are dogging me out. There is nothing wrong with extract. it is good stuff..............BUT do cake makers that make and sell cakes use betty crocker. NO. Do bread makers use the black and decker bread maker. NO. These people would be laughed at in there profession. I know this is throwing fuel on the fire but there is nothing like a good debate. Lets just keep it respectful.:mug:

As i said earlier for those who are dogging me out. There is nothing wrong with extract. it is good stuff..............BUT do cake makers that make and sell cakes use betty crocker. NO. Do bread makers use the black and decker bread maker. NO. These people would be laughed at in there profession. I know this is throwing fuel on the fire but there is nothing like a good debate. Lets just keep it respectful.:mug:

so you are saying people who use extract should be laughed at?

Dont judge others bro.......its only going to make you look bad. Hell if that dude can make a living by making beer, well he's still doing better than you are. Is it the way you or I would run a brewery? Nope.....But hes still doing it.

Now....if you want to set up shop right next door and put that dude out of business, well then have at it. From the sounds of it it shouldnt be too hard

They might get laughed at IF those bread makers made terrible bread, but if they made GREAT bread, despite the simplicity of their setup, then it would undoubtedly silence the critics. It's not about the equipment, it's not about the sophistry of the process, it's about the result.

The fact that you called him a ******, but never tried the beer, speaks volumes.

Was this somewhere around Hermann or Augusta MO? There are good brew pubs in both of those towns but I know of a winery east of Hermann that also makes beer and it pretty much sucks. I think I would of explained to the guy the difference between being a brewer and owning a brewery/winery in my own smartass way.

Thank you brewmando. Enough said. It was a winery.
And chimone it appears you cant read also. I said that extract is fine for the third time. Do you use extract in all that equipment you have in your gallery? Or is that for A.G.???
Maybe you should go to ebay and buy some of that old stuff for twenty bucks and use that Extract equipment of yours and make some award winning beer.
Evan Excellent point. Have to give ya that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back