I want to progress from extract brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomdrumzz69

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been extract brewing for the last couple of years now trying out different hop combinations on the same base recipe. I've been able to get some nice hop combinations, and although occasionally a little too bitter (and I do mean a little depending on hop amount/boil times), I haven't been able to get the type of flavours I'm looking for.
I have been doing 5 galleon batches; my last one was:

Boil: 1.5kg light malt extract in the boil with 45g Amarillo & 45 Citra for 60mins, then 30g Citra & 20g Amarillo for 10mins
Post boil: 1kg brewing sugar, 500g light spray malt
Fermenting: Gervin GV12 yeast, 35g Amarillo & 25g Citra

I am based in England, so when I think of the beers I'm looking to emulate, I think draught Brewdog Punk IPA, Oakham Citra, Thornbridge Jaipur/Kipling, Marstons Shipyard.

Can anyone advise how I can progress from extract brewing, and suggest any recipes, or changes to my current method (above) to bring about the flavours I'm looking for? Thanks!

Partial mash of specialty grains is the next baby step before going all grain.

You can look into steeping specialty grains and adding them to the boil pot without buying hardly any extra equipment or changing your process drastically.

Partial mash of specialty grains is the next baby step before going all grain.

I think given the rise of BIAB, there's little reason to do partial mashing BTW.

My advice is to look into "brew in a bag" or BIAB. In fact, there's a whole sub-forum here dedicated to BIAB: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/forums/biab-brewing.244/

The advantage is that it can mostly be done with existing equipment, if you have a brew kettle large enough to handle a whole batch. For 5 gallon batches, that does require somewhere around 8-10 gallon brew kettle capacity, so if you're currently doing partial boils or maxing out your boil kettle, you might need to upgrade there. But unlike most multi-vessel all-grain methods, having everything in one kettle is simplest and easiest.

As for recipes/etc, once you transition to all-grain, basically all recipes are open to you. There are plenty of resources on HBT and elsewhere that will get you started there. The key is first getting a basic handle on the BIAB process.

Can anyone advise how I can progress from extract brewing, and suggest any recipes, or changes to my current method (above) to bring about the flavours I'm looking for? Thanks!

I have been an all-grain brewer for quite a while, but I have done some extract brews this year and they can be damn good. You lose a little flexibility with grains and mash temps and it costs quite a bit more, but can make good beers. I personally enjoy the process of all-grain brewing.

You mention a recipe and some of your brew day process, but really it is the fermentation and packaging sides that are going to have more impact on the quality of your beers.

As far as what flavours are missing...you are going to have to describe how your beers differ. The book "Brewing Classic Styles" is an excellent source of recipes to get started with any style. The recipe is listed as extract (with steeping grains) along with an all-grain option.

+1 on all grain . BIAB is probably the easiest way to jump into AG. I've done a ton of Brewers Best kits . Some turned out pretty dang good and some just meh. I can tell a huge difference since going AG and adjusting water profiles .

I'll also vote for BIAB and add a minor note on your recipe. Citra and Amarillo are pretty expensive hops. For the 60 minute addition, where you are really just looking for bitterness, Magnum can help stretch your quid.

I've given up tradional mash and sparge for BIAB. I usually do 2 or 2.5 gallon batches so it works in a five gallon pot.

Smaller batches I have more variety in the pipeline. I will drink 12 ounces at night so it takes a long time to burn through five gallons. I'm thinking of doing some 1 gallon batches to get a little more variety.

Take the jump to BIAB. You'll find it easy and rewarding.

All the Best,
D. White

Back