i want to get swing tops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmjloki

Reaction score
i got a deal on a 1gal all grain beer kit that i could not pass up so i got it. I know from looking in to home brewing a while ago(over a year) that swing top bottles cost more then reusing bottles.

My question is what is what are the disadvantages of swing top bottles?

i got a deal on a 1gal all grain beer kit that i could not pass up so i got it. I know from looking in to home brewing a while ago(over a year) that swing top bottles cost more then reusing bottles.

My question is what is what are the disadvantages of swing top bottles?

I use ONLY swing top bottles.......... I have no intention of ever using crown caps.

There are a number of advantages, and one disadvantage. The advantages are that the EZ cap brand bottles are far heavier and sturdier and will handle far more pressure than ordinary beer bottles........ this is NOT true of actual Grolsch bottles. I can't imagine one exploding before it vents. They are capable of around 100 psi or more.... the green Grolsch bottles are no heavier than ordinary beer bottles. You can reuse them again and again.......... caps and all, changing the gaskets occasionally. You can drink half a beer today and the other half tomorrow..... and it will still be decently carbonated.

I pay around $20 per dozen........ a pretty heavy initial outlay....... replacement gaskets are around 3 cents each.

The disadvantage is FLAT BEER........... You will start to get the occasional flat beer....... this is the signal that it's time to start replacing gaskets........... The other disadvantage is that people do NOT return them. Ask them to return your stubbies or long necks, and they will usually return them...... Everybody loves swing top bottles, and you will find them at friend's homes containing various things other than beer........ Particularly if they are clear bottles............ which most of mine are. My rule is "if you don't bring my bottles back, you don't get beer"............ I have pennies per bottle in grain and hops, but dollars in bottles. On a recent brew I had 51 cents per bottle in ingredients...... and $1.83 per bottle........... If I get the bottle back, it costs me 51 cents plus my time and energy to earn good will........... If not it's $2.34...............

The flip side of that is that for a paltry $1.83 bottle, you quickly learn who your friends are........... Who cares about you and thinks about you and believes in the same relationship values you have...... The guy who returns your bottles is the guy you can call up when you need help roofing the barn, or who will come down and bail you out of jail. The guy who comes by the house with a bag of two row he just happened to "get a deal on"...The guy who will stick his neck out for you with his employer when you are out of work, or help you get rid of the body when you murder the guy who molested your daughter. He's the guy you can depend on................Assuming you are that kind of guy yourself, and not some milksop!!

Flip tops / swing tops are valuable tool..... and well worth the cost!!

Pardon me for "waxing poetic" ...... again ;-)......... one of my many weaknesses.........

H.W.

Would you say that swing tops are worth the $120 shipping fee to Nunavut for a case of 12 bottles?

I'd like to use them, but it's kinda pricey...

Would you say that swing tops are worth the $120 shipping fee to Nunavut for a case of 12 bottles?

I'd like to use them, but it's kinda pricey...

Ouch, and nope. I know you're stuck out there, any chance you could just keg? I can't see spending...well, any money on bottles that don't have beer in them.

Ouch, and nope. I know you're stuck out there, any chance you could just keg? I can't see spending...well, any money on bottles that don't have beer in them.

I bottle with pepsi bottles, and a few cases of amber beer glass bottles. I do have two kegs, but I haven't quite gotten around to hooking it up for various reasons.

I have two cases of swing top bottles that I received as a gift a few years back. I love them and for reasons mentioned above I only use them for personal consumption. Check World Market/Cost Plus. My wife found amber ones there at a really good price.

Back