I want a "Hoppy beer" for Non Hop Heads

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffd10

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking to do a "Hoppy Beer" that will appeal to non-hopheads..I know that sounds dumb, but it has come up in conversations ...lol.. at the moment I am still doing Exract Brews, What have you Guys and Gals come across

Please let me know if you have any recipes/kits/ideas

thanks

Jeff

+1 to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. And +1 to all aroma hops.

My other suggestion would be to pair a more hoppy beer like a hopheaded Pale Ale with some hot wings. Let your friends use the pale ale to extinguish the heat from the wings. Ive always found the bitter to go well with the fire. Maybe you're better off pairing it than telling your Girls Light drinking friend to pick up an IPA on an empty palate.

I think beer is often about perception. Once you liked a beer once you'll likely try that beer again AND that style of beer too.

Happy converting.

I tried ranger ipa and hated it, it was way too much for me. Then I tried sweetwater 420 and it is pretty hoppy but tastes sooo good!

Hi All,

I am looking to do a "Hoppy Beer" that will appeal to non-hopheads..I know that sounds dumb, but it has come up in conversations ...lol.. at the moment I am still doing Exract Brews, What have you Guys and Gals come across

thanks

Jeff

-------------
I am not into hoppy beers, but the guys I brew with like them.
(personally, I think extra hoppy beers are a waste of good flavor... All you taste is the hop and none of the finer tastes of good home brew. You might as well chew on some hops, or soak you hoops in vodka, and throw it down) :rockin:

Anyway, I have done a nice "hoppy-dark beer"!
Northern Brewer has a "black IPA" that is worth the money.

It is very interesting dark and flavorful like a stout, but semi-hoppy like an IPA. When you look at then taste it it is confusing... But if you can let go of what you expect it is really good!

I have only done it once but will be doing it again!

I kegged it, and it was gone in no time

Have fun, my friend!
:mug:

I hated IPA's, most Pale Ales even, and threw up once after Double Bastard. But then I learned that it wasn't the hops I hated, but the bittering. Try what was already suggested: use most of your hops at the end of the boil. I don't mind flavor hops, but that flavor has to be fruity or spicy, not bitter. Aroma is always a pleasing thing and I've never heard of anyone who doesn't like a beer with a good hop aroma.

I hated IPA's, most Pale Ales even, and threw up once after Double Bastard. But then I learned that it wasn't the hops I hated, but the bittering. Try what was already suggested: use most of your hops at the end of the boil. I don't mind flavor hops, but that flavor has to be fruity or spicy, not bitter. Aroma is always a pleasing thing and I've never heard of anyone who doesn't like a beer with a good hop aroma.

+1 here. I'm starting to think that's what I don't care for too much;bittering. So,when I brewed my pale ale,I used a 15 min hop addition with 1oz Kent Golding,dry hopped with 1oz Willamette. I also combined an Australian pre-hopped light LME with Munton's plain extra light DME. I thought the English DME would add more of that malty,biscuity flavor. With the hop hit down towards the back,with some floral,earthy/spicy,herby lemon grass tones that'd compliment the fruity esters that ale yeasts produce.
I figured,why not add to that fruitiness with hops that have similar qualities?

I wanted to say thanks to everyone who replied... You have given me some great ideas..and I am actually digging a few of these... The sky is the limit , and you really can curtail the beers that you WANT to make ....

My wife hates hop bitterness. So I invented the SWMBO SMaSH for her it has hops but only at a late addition (5 minutes left to boil). She thought it was great. I imagine if you used more hops that my simple 1 oz recipie but kept them at late additions like the others have mentioned you can achieve a "hoppy" beer with almost no bitter.

I would also suggest using hops with low alpha acid levels.

I hate to plug my own recipe, but try my DFH 60 minute clone. My friend is NOT a hophead at all- LandShark is her favorite beer. But she loves the IPA because it's not bitter. It's hoppy, but with a grapefruity hops flavor that isn't bitter. She loved it!

Thanks Reef,

Thanks Yooper

I am looking over you DFH 60 MC ....looks great, I appreciate your feedback and offering up your receipe

besides Mountain Biking and Baseball, Beermaking is my favorite sport

I would suggest something along the lines of a hoppy blonde ale. It's light enough that you wouldn't have to add too many hops and IBU's to make it "hoppy", and wouldn't be too "big" for some people.

Sweetwater actually makes a very good IPA as well. Its smooth and has a very grapefruity flavor..maybe its still a little too hoppy though.

Hi All,

thanks

Jeff

I've always been a BIG fan of malt, not so much on hops. I drink mostly doppelbocks, porters, stouts & scotch ales; I've actually said "Guiness is a little hoppy for my taste;" I'm not kidding.

I can't stand IPA's, or anything brewed with those grapefruit flavoured hops, or the hops that IMHO taste like cat piss smells. Now all that having been said, I just discovered Anchor's bock: http://www.anchorbrewing.com/beers/bockbeer.htm

Now I've tried their steam & their porter, and in all honesty I wasn't impressed, but I was really surprised at their bock. I was surprised that I could enjoy such a hoppy brew & that such a hoppy beer didn't make me want to spit it on the floor or yak, or leave that nasty grapefruit/cat piss taste in my mouth. I'm not sure, but I think I can taste Goldings and/or Saaz.

I don't have a recipe for you, but I can honestly say as a non-hophead, that I like & enjoy the Anchor bock, even as hoppy as it is. Maybe you'd like it too & maybe somebody has or can approximate a clone recipe for you. I'm not sure if any of this helps, but that's what I got. Regards, GF.

Well,having described my "Summer Pale" ale before,I guess it's worth repeating. The Munton's plain extra light DME I added to the Cooper's OS lager can (with ale yeast) came out with that amber colored,malty/biscuity flavor/aroma. I made a 15min hop addition with 1oz of Kent Golding (4.5%AAU).
After 3 weeks of fermenting down to FG,I dry hopped 1 week with 1oz of Willamette pellets (4.7%AAU). Both of them being low alpha acid hops went a long way toward getting them to perform the function they're meant for.
So far,it has the same color as a Salvator Doppel Bock. I think the flavor will be close,maybe a bit more biscuity,like an English ale. I'll post the recipe more precisely if anybody cares to try it.

Thanks Ryan, I was looking at the sweetwater, I wonder if I can even get that out here in Cali...looks real good, looks like they have been doing good beer for a while

Thanks Jay,Bole,gratus

Union Please share if you are up too it ....I see MANY years of brewing ahead

It took me so long to type it in with all the details,I got booted off by the time I got done%&%^@#E%Maybe split it up this time? Here we go again...

"Summer Pale" ale recipe-
1.7kg Cooper's O.S. Lager can/provided ale yeast
3lbs Munton's plain extra light DME
Yeast starter
1oz Kent Golding hop pellets,4.5%AA,15mins
1oz Willamette hop pellets,4.7%AA,dry hop 1 week
4G natural spring water to top off to 23L (6.072G)
OG-1.044
FG-1.012
Color-amber
Heat 1 1/2C of water to get it steamy hot (just barely). Add 1/4C of the DME,stir to incorporate. Put it in a Pyrex measuring cup,add quick check thermometer,& cover with plastic wrap.
I got 1 1/4G of water to boiling in my 5G brew kettle. Gunna try 2G next time to see which is better.
When starter temp goes down to 75F,stir in yeast sachet & recover.

When water in kettle boils for a couple mins,bag up the 1oz Kent Golding hop pellets,toss it in the pot,& set timer for 15mins.
When time is up,use sanitized tongs to pull out hop bag & drain. I set mine aside in a cereal bowl till I could empty & clean it later.
Slide BK off of hot burner,& mix in the remaining DME till all clumps are mixed in. Then pour in the Cooper's LME can & stir like it owes you money. You'll get a froth at this point. Kinda reminded me of a hot break. Keep stiring till you can no longer scrape malt syrup off the bottom! Put a lid on the BK. Go sanitize everything need for the next step if you haven't already. I saved it for this point to let the hot wort steep for a bit to make sure any remaining nasties gave up the ghost.

-------------
I am not into hoppy beers, but the guys I brew with like them.
(personally, I think extra hoppy beers are a waste of good flavor... All you taste is the hop and none of the finer tastes of good home brew. You might as well chew on some hops, or soak you hoops in vodka, and throw it down) :rockin:

Anyway, I have done a nice "hoppy-dark beer"!
Northern Brewer has a "black IPA" that is worth the money.

It is very interesting dark and flavorful like a stout, but semi-hoppy like an IPA. When you look at then taste it it is confusing... But if you can let go of what you expect it is really good!

I have only done it once but will be doing it again!

I kegged it, and it was gone in no time

Have fun, my friend!
:mug:

For some of us, the hops ARE the finer tastes of a good homebrew!:rockin:

Ok,I finally got it into my head that I need to chill the wort in the BK & a sink of ice water after this one. Anyway,I poured 1G of the cold spring water in the Cooper's micro brew FV,then pored the wort in from as high up as I could without missing the FV opening.
Dito with the remaing spring water till I got it up to 23L (again,6.072G). Stirred it for a few mins,even swirled it for a while to make sure it was mixed well. Took hydro reading of 1.044,then I stirred the starter (which sat for 3 hours,35 mins) to suspend all the young lil yeasties,& poured it in the FV. Stir lightly to incorporate.
Now,I didn't use a blow off,but you def should with this one. I didn't,& got away with it. That fermenter creaked like an old wooden ship,but held her ground! After taking 3 weeks to get down to FG & clear till still a lil hazy,I pitched the 1oz of Willamette hop pellets (again,in a hop sack). Dry hop one week. I used 1 Cooper's carb drop per bottle (I used 11.2 & 12oz,even 16oz take 1 drop). to Bottle'em up. Got 60 12oz bottles,& one 25oz PET bottle. If I'd had a good siphon,maybe 68! Enjoy after 3-4 weeks conditioning & 3-5 days in the fridge.

ok this isnt really true to style but its really good. make an average Irish Red Ale, do a primary ferment, then do a secondary ferment. in your secondary dry hop with 1 oz of cascade leaf hops for about 5 days. the beer has a good roasted flavor with a good malt base. the style usually has low hop charicter and a medium to low carbonation. but it makes a very refreshing twist with the dry hops. very aeromatic and just the right hint of bitter. i loved mine!

Thanks Union, I will reasemble your reciepe, looks good

Quad that sounds good too..

Joe, Homey, I agree with you too, But when swmbo, and the swmbettes stop by for a cool one, and they make "the Face" and ask for a Bartles and James or god forbid a Zima, I need to find a Swimbo house beer lol

Thanks For all the great advice

Joe , Whats that Screaming Creaming Ale?

Northern Brewer's Extra Pale Ale was my first batch and it was a real crowd-pleaser. I'm definitely a fan of the wildest and hoppiest of beers while my friends and roommates are just now getting into craft beer and I feel like it was a great balance between the two tastes. Only cascade hops are used in this recipe and I feel that they did a great job of bittering and adding aroma.

Tom

Back