I used to think liquid yeast was better

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

games03

Reaction score
NOT ANYMORE!

I am veteran of about 15 mini-mash batches and I realize now I have wasted a lot of money on those liquid vials. And time! The dry stuff takes off like a rocket and goes strong. I had to swap out my 3-piece lock for a blow-off tube on a Weiss beer.

I understand there are specific reasons for using specialized yeast (the Belgians, for instance) and I wish I knew that 15 batches ago.

Word to the newbie. Go for the dry.

What yeast did you use for the Weiss?
I typically use liquid yeast for just a few styles, hefeweizen and belgian come to mind.

I find the liquids give a better flavor profile, where the drys - to me - taste a bit lacking in that department. But I'm glad that you found something that works for you - which is the most important thing!

I like using dry if it's a yeast I'm getting off the internet: I tend to stick with cleaner strains of saccharomyces, so I find the differences between liquid vs dry are not that great. Dry yeast tends to have more cell counts, but I almost always make a starter now: so both my dry or liquid yeast brews get going quickly and need blow offs.

I find the main advantage of liquid is if you're trying to find some custom strain: there's a lot more variety with liquid then dry....but dry seems to be quite a bit more durable. So most my general ales tend to be from dry.

Oh! I really like the Fermentis yeast. They are made by the same company that makes the red star yeast for wine and bread. I think they have a great product.

to bad the prices are going up big time. it is only going to be a couple dollars difference to get the liquid strains now...

Snagging yeast is the best. Have a killer beer - culture the yeast from the bottom of the bottle. I've got PacMan in a fermenter already and I just cultured a Schneider-Weisse. You need to research different beers anyway right, so it's really like free yeast.

-OCD

US-05 and Nottingham are my go to yeasts for 99% of everything I brew.

I'll occasionally use an Irish Ale liquid strain, and in my opinion liquid is pretty much a must for any hefeweizen styles or Belgians.

I love dry yeast too. Nottingham works so well.

However, if you need a liquid yeast for something like a Hefe or Belgian, wash that yeast after you take your beer out of the primary. There is a great thread on this site that shows how to wash your yeast. If you do this, you don't have to buy a new liquid yeast every time you want to brew one of these styles. This will save you a ton of cash on liquid yeast.

Dry yeast is a great tool for brewing.
I always keep some Notty and S-05 on hand.

I go with liquids ( Wyeast ) for specialty brews - mostly my Belgian and Hefeweizen batches.

I just now getting serious about washing and storing yeast.
I had to get SWMBO hooked on sourdough for her to understand my logic behind washing yeast and culturing rare strains.

Back