I used dextrose in the fermenter with my kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bootlegnjack

Reaction score
Hi,

First post, just getting into brewing and using home brew kits. My second brew kit I used dextrose in the fermenter for the sugar, earlier on I was browsing some home brew sites and they said dextrose is for the secondary fermentation in the bottle.

Will it be ok for the initial fermentation?

It will very slightly raise your ABV and equally slightly reduce the body of the beer. Very minor changes.

The bigger issue for you now is that you don't have any prong sugar. Really not a big problem, but order some so you can bottle when ready. You probably have a few weeks, so no rush. Good luck.

It will very slightly raise your ABV and equally slightly reduce the body of the beer. Very minor changes.

The bigger issue for you now is that you don't have any prong sugar. Really not a big problem, but order some so you can bottle when ready. You probably have a few weeks, so no rush. Good luck.

He means priming sugar. And yeah you'll need some more. Get some more in for when you bottle the batch. It's not a rush, it won't hurt your brew to stay in the fermenter for a couple extra weeks. I personally bought a 3 lb bag of dextrose and have it in airtight containers from LME I've gotten over the years. Just in case I need it.

- ISM NRP

Thanks fellas some good advice, appreciate the answers, I got some more for the priming so I'm good to go.

He means priming sugar. And yeah you'll need some more. Get some more in for when you bottle the batch. It's not a rush, it won't hurt your brew to stay in the fermenter for a couple extra weeks. I personally bought a 3 lb bag of dextrose and have it in airtight containers from LME I've gotten over the years. Just in case I need it.

- ISM NRP

Ha. Thanks. Cross between being on an iPhone (where I constantly hit backspace instead of "m") and the damn autocorrect! Yes, I meant priming, not prong.

Back