I used 100% wheat malt in my hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tr08

Reaction score
Is it okay to use 100% of wheat malt in a hefe? My local brew shop ran out of pilsner supplies. As I'm a fan of wheat beer, I have no choice but to brew anyway with what I've got at hands.

My recipe comes like this...
8lbs wheat malt Weyerman
0.25oz northern brewer hops(8.6%)
wb-06 yeast
IBU:10
og:1.044
ferment at 22c(72f)

Just want some reassurances that I wouldn't ruin it. Thanks.
:rockin:

IMG_8965.JPG

IMG_8964.JPG

Apparently some modified wheat malts will convert themselves. Make sure you do a conversion test before boiling.
Use lots of rice hulls and long protein rests.

I've done 100% wheat malt in hefeweizens and I really enjoy the end product. You will be good (but yes, I hope you have a really thin mash and/or plenty of rice hulls)!

:mug:

I think your fermentation temp worries me more than anything. I would look at fermenting around 62-64F (17-18C). I think you'll get a much more balanced weissbier that way. At 72F, I think you run the risk of a pure banana overload and no clove-y spice to be found.

I think your fermentation temp worries me more than anything. I would look at fermenting around 62-64F (17-18C). I think you'll get a much more balanced weissbier that way. At 72F, I think you run the risk of a pure banana overload and no clove-y spice to be found.

Concur. 65F at the highest for a balanced phenol/ester profile. Fermentation temperature control important.

Thanks guys for suggestions.
Replying to some comments,
I did single infusion mash without any sparging problem. No protein rest and it converted well.
I love a hefe with more of banana aroma and that's why I ferment mine high according to the yeast instruction.

Next time try liquid yeast like WY3638 or WLP351 - if you'll do it right, you WILL be amazed.

Also single infusion mash isn't suitable for weizen, try a temperature mash with ferulic acid rest. Even if you love banana over clove, a 10-15 minute ferulic rest will give your hef a spark (although WB-06 ferment too dry, so they don't need it as much as W68).

You should totally be fine with a single infusion. We are talking about modern malts. If you want to try and do step or decoction, go for it. I have won medals using single infusion for hefes. The only thing I would thought would have gone wrong was the sparge. from your pictures, it looks like you didn't have any runoff issues. cool experiment! hope it works out!

I think this will turn out OK.
I love using Weyermann malts. It's one of my favorite brands. It should convert just fine.

My hefe usually consists of Dingeman's Pilsner and Briess red wheat malt. A portion of the red wheat is ground to near flour and set aside for decoction, then added to the mash. Never a problem with the wort getting stuck, conversion, or hitting my numbers.
If I feel froggy, I will drop a Whirlfloc in the boil just before flame-out.

Latest posts

Back