I think this is just yeast floaties. You ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stdywell

Reaction score
This is a couple days shy of three weeks in primary. It is this recipe:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f75/belgian-strawberry-blonde-evil-charlies-dog-drool-244157/

Bubbles tell me it's got a ways to go yet, but do the floaties look like yeast to you ? I have only a couple extract kits under my belt and haven't seen this. I suspect it just needs some time, but just the same , any opinion would be appreciated.

Smells and tastes fine. ABV is about 5.91 based on my gravity readings.
Thx,

Doug

image-269850477.jpg

Yup,looks normal to me. Just krausen left overs that didn'y wind up on the sides like the other gunk seen in the pic.

I never open unless I dry hop but I don't take long at all.
I use my nose to check on how things are going. Yes, not very scientific but after many, many years of brewing, I have a pretty good idea how things are going. Thankfully, I have a great track record.

Well guys, I opened it because it's the only way to take a gravity reading. Magic didn't work.
Read the OP, it's been almost three weeks in primary.

Thank you to those who responded.

Well guys, I opened it because it's the only way to take a gravity reading. Magic didn't work.
Read the OP, it's been almost three weeks in primary.

Thank you to those who responded.

At three weeks in the primary it's likely more than ready to be bottled/kegged

ArcticBear said:
At three weeks in the primary it's likely more than ready to be bottled/kegged

ArcticBear,

Am very new to this hobby, but dont the bubbles indicate that there is still active fermentation ? I'll take another reading in a couple days just the same, but am I wrong in my assumption ?
Thanks,
Doug

It's the same thing as what's plastered to the sides. The bubbles don't mean anything, only gravity readings can tell you if it is finished with fermentation.

ArcticBear,

Am very new to this hobby, but dont the bubbles indicate that there is still active fermentation ? I'll take another reading in a couple days just the same, but am I wrong in my assumption ?
Thanks,
Doug

Yeah, bubbles mean very little after the first few days. You've got the right idea, take readings. When the FG is stable over a few days, it's done, regardless of how long it keeps bubbling. I have a RIS that's been in secondary for ~6 months, and it still bubbles from time to time. Conversely, I have a pale ale that's not quite at FG yet, no bubbles from that one. :mug:

ArcticBear,

Thanks,
Doug

Yeah, bubbles mean very little after the first few days. You've got the right idea, take readings. When the FG is stable over a few days, it's done, regardless of how long it keeps bubbling.

Nordeast is pretty much on point. If your gravity stays stable then it is finished. If you'll notice you can also push a little on the lid of your bucket after a few days and it will gurgle and bubble and go nuts... that doesnt mean that you are making it ferment any faster by pushing on it, just that you are forcing out a little of the co2...

bubbles are a good idicator that you are filling your bucket with co2 and forcing out the air... after fermentation slows a little you wont have crazy bubblig because its all just co2 in the headspace. keep an eye on bubbles to make sure you arent going to krausen through your airlock, but don't rely only on bubbles... for most standard gravity beers (1.060ish and below) you will probably be finished fermentation in a few days, especially if you made a good starter. but you can always leave it a couple extra days to give the yeasties a chance to clean up the house (your beer) after the giant feast rave they threw in the prior days... let more of the trub settle and then rack to secondary or keg or bottle.

secondaries aren't always needed but for some people its a peace of mind type of thing. goodluck with the future brews, you'll be surprised at how much the things you think are so important really arent after a few successful batches.

Thank you guys. Appreciate the feedback. This will be the first time I rack to a secondary ( on top of strawberries ) Really looking forward to this one, as are are my wife and son.

Thanks again.

- Doug

I'll never understand why people open the bucket to peek in. Just let it do it's thing!

At just under 3 weeks in primary. It would be very hard to take a gravity reading without opening it some how. I guess you might be able to take a gravity sample through the airlock hole.

But most people take the lid off for a sample or to transfer/package.

SmoothSmoke said:
Don't forget to sanitize the strawberries.

Will do. These were hand picked last year, then rinsed, sliced and frozen. Plan to simmer at 170 degrees for 15 minutes then cool and toss the berries and I assume the water all into the secondary.
(have to double check, but when I searched this forum I think I saw 170 for 15 anyway )

- doug

I never open unless I dry hop but I don't take long at all.
I use my nose to check on how things are going. Yes, not very scientific but after many, many years of brewing, I have a pretty good idea how things are going. Thankfully, I have a great track record.

Yup, the nose knows. I LOVE opening my temp-controlled fridge every day during fermentation to check on things.

Back