I think something went wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I brewed my first all grain batch with a mash thickness of 1.33 qrts/lbs.(total of 2.59 gals for 7.8 lbs) I let sit for an hour and when I came back and opened the lid the water level was well below the top of the grain bed. I'm guessing that's not right. Where did I screw up?:confused:

Got a leak in your MLT?

When you first doughed in, what did the water level look like? What kind of volume were you able to lauter off of that mash? The grain will definitely absorb SOME of the water, but shouldn't absorb enough to account for the behavior you're describing.

Not too surprising with the grain absorbing water and swelling. I've never understood why so many homebrewers use thick mashes. Most pros run 5-7 to 1 by weight. Thin mashes maintain temperature better and even though the enzyme concentration is lower, an hour mash will convert everything.

Not too surprising with the grain absorbing water and swelling. I've never understood why so many homebrewers use thick mashes. Most pros run 5-7 to 1 by weight. Thin mashes maintain temperature better and even though the enzyme concentration is lower, an hour mash will convert everything.

Just to clarify, do you mean 5-7 qts/lbs of grain?

Thanks

Oh, crap I forgot about the grain absorption. Color me stupid. So when calculating strike water you would figure out how many qts you need for the mash thickness then add the amount of water the grains will absorb and that will give you the amount you need to dough in?

I would recommend investing in some brewing software...I let Beersmith do my thinking for me when it comes to mash calculations :drunk:

kingmatt said:
I would recommend investing in some brewing software...I let Beersmith do my thinking for me when it comes to mash calculations :drunk:

Yep. Get Beersmith. Awesome software, especially once you have it calibrated to your equipment. I wouldn't attempt all grain without it.

Oh, crap I forgot about the grain absorption. Color me stupid. So when calculating strike water you would figure out how many qts you need for the mash thickness then add the amount of water the grains will absorb and that will give you the amount you need to dough in?

I would use a thickness you were comfortable with than just subtract the grain absorption amount from the first runnings amount in the water calculation formula. Brewing software or online calculators can help.

Latest posts

Back