I think my wine is stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Temp81

Reaction score
So I made a blackberry wine from 12 lbs of wild berries. I froze them, thawed them, then crushed them in my fermenting bucket. I added about 2 gallons of boiling water, then added a few crushed Camden tablets and let that sit for 24 hours. I then added a 10 lb bag of sugar and a can of frozen red grape juice and a can of frozen white grape juice to the remaining 4.5 gallons of water. Once cooled I added my yeast nutrient and a pack of EC- 1118 yeast. My OG came out to 1.095, it fermented for 5 days and gravity was down to about 1.040. I then racked it off the fruit and lees. When I racked I came up a little short so I added a bottle of Welch's grape juice, that put the gravity up a few points. Now for 3 weeks it has been stuck a t 1.032, with pretty much no airlock activity. So, should I just bulk age, bottle and pray it's not too sweet, or add some fermentable sugar and more yeast to try and get it to finish. The only other yeast I have right now is 1116. This is my first fruit wine so I'm kind of a newb, although I make tons of beer. Oh and gravity readings are taken with a refractometer. Thanks for the help.

So I made a blackberry wine from 12 lbs of wild berries. I froze them, thawed them, then crushed them in my fermenting bucket. I added about 2 gallons of boiling water, then added a few crushed Camden tablets and let that sit for 24 hours. I then added a 10 lb bag of sugar and a can of frozen red grape juice and a can of frozen white grape juice to the remaining 4.5 gallons of water. Once cooled I added my yeast nutrient and a pack of EC- 1118 yeast. My OG came out to 1.095, it fermented for 5 days and gravity was down to about 1.040. I then racked it off the fruit and lees. When I racked I came up a little short so I added a bottle of Welch's grape juice, that put the gravity up a few points. Now for 3 weeks it has been stuck a t 1.032, with pretty much no airlock activity. So, should I just bulk age, bottle and pray it's not too sweet, or add some fermentable sugar and more yeast to try and get it to finish. The only other yeast I have right now is 1116. This is my first fruit wine so I'm kind of a newb, although I make tons of beer. Oh and gravity readings are taken with a refractometer. Thanks for the help.

It sounds fine. Put down the refractometer and take a reading with a hydrometer.

Refractometers read the refraction of light. Alcohol skews the light and hence the reading, so the reading is NOT accurate when taken after alcohol is in the mix.

There are calculators out there than can help correct your reading (http://seanterrill.com/2012/01/06/refractometer-calculator/) but it's not that accurate.

Grab a hydrometer reading, and if it's above .996 or so, let us know.

Sorry I took so long, the 9 week old has been a bit of a handful. But, once again Yooper, you are correct. Hydrometer reading is .992, and the good part is I got a tasty sample. After you mentioned that refractometers have errors when alcohol is present, I remembered reading a thread about that. So now time to 're rack and stabalize for aging. Sample is delicious but very hot. Thanks again Yooper.

Sorry I took so long, the 9 week old has been a bit of a handful. But, once again Yooper, you are correct. Hydrometer reading is .992, and the good part is I got a tasty sample. After you mentioned that refractometers have errors when alcohol is present, I remembered reading a thread about that. So now time to 're rack and stabalize for aging. Sample is delicious but very hot. Thanks again Yooper.

So glad it is turning out well! :ban:

Back