I think I've got the bug...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InkPouchMan

Reaction score
Well, I've only done 2 batches so far (the third's ready to go, I'll brew hopefully today). As I posted in another thread, I picked up a cheap turkey fryer and a decent cooler for less than $60 (the home depot deals, the latter just cause they had it, wouldn'ta bought one otherwise).

It's so incredibly difficult not to think about the next step. And the next. And so on.

Like, I'm now a few plumbing parts and some quick & easy labor away from a nice MLT, so it looks like I'm a hop away from AG. Whoa! (No wort chiller though... but $50? There's gotta be a better way!)

Then there's the next step: summer! Gotta keep fermenters cool. Don't have a way right now.

Then there's the next step: moving. I expect I'll be living in an apartment by the end of the summer... I'll need space for this stuff, and space=$$$ in the NY area. And I'll need some way to keep heating water: outdoor space for turkey fryer, or a really strong stove, maybe a heat stick (which would need appropriate wiring).

Half excitement, half frustration over the difficulties ahead for a hobby which I absolutely must continue to pursue. Even though the first couple batches didn't turn out all that great (some seltzery flavor common to both). I got the bug... caught it from you all!!! :D

(Seriously, though, this place is great.)

Dextersmom said:
you can probably make a wort chiller for around 30 bucks (maybe less) with materials from home depot.

Maybe/maybe not...Copper prices are WAY up right now....There is a place online that has better prices...Im at work right now and dont have the link, but Im sure someone will post it...

Some of us are totally entrapped by the obsession of brewing and spend our days thinking of pretty much nothing but BEER, delicious, smooth, foamy beer........

Anyway, don't let the move to an apartment get you down. Look for some posts from Brewtopia. He regularly brews five gallon all grain batches in a 400 sq foot condo without a deck. And he makes the best beer I've tried so far.

Space is nice when brewing, but lack of should not be an obstacle to making great beer. Good Luck.

I live in a small apartment right now in Michigan. I am not to AG yet, but I just keep all my brewing stuff under the kitchen table, and the fermenter on top of the kitchen table to keep the dog away. I have a closet where I store my bottles. you can make any size apartment work, you just have to utilize dead space like.....under the kitchen table. The SWMBO hates it, but I'm happy :D

McKBrew said:
Some of us are totally entrapped by the obsession of brewing and spend our days thinking of pretty much nothing but BEER, delicious, smooth, foamy beer........

Speak for yourself.

I could personally take this hobby or leave it.....

;)

cglkaptc said:
I just keep all my brewing stuff under the kitchen table, :D

LOL!!! Give it time. When my SWMBO first gave me my starter kit, all my brewing stuff fit into a box. Now I have an entire room filled with grain, fermenters, corny kegs, bottles, a mill, aeration equipment stir plates, testing equipment, a lagering freezer, etc. Not to mention the 2#of hops in my freezer, the dozen or so samples of yeast in my fridge, and all the all-grain stuff in the garage.
The obsession never stops:mug:

sometimes a local recycling yard will have good deals on copper tubing, just the /lb price of the metal
-ander

Latest posts

Back