I think I used too much vodka

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
All,

I used about 8 oz (1 cup) of vodka to sanitize vanilla beans for a porter I brewed. I had 6 beans and I was trying to coat them completely. I'm about 2.5 weeks into the keg, and after tasting the other day, I have a strong alcohol flavor. The question is - will this tone down like beer does? It seems that beer will have a strong alcohol flavor until about a month into it and all of that plus hop bitterness blends. I'm afraid that since this alcohol is just that, it's not going to tone down and may have ruined the beer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

What was the volume you brewed? It seems, that if the volume was 5 gallons, the vodka would be to well diluted to taste. Could the alcohol taste be fusel alcohols, from a high fermentation temperature? It is also possible the beer is to young to be drinking yet, if the fermentation time was short.

I fermented in the low 60s, so I don't think that's a problem. It was 5 gallons. I'm going to give it another few weeks. It's only supposed to be about 6.5% abv, so I don't think that's it either. Man, I hope it's just still young. This is a vanilla porter, and for whatever reason, I have never been able to brew a dark beer. I've ruined stouts and porters, but scotch ales, ipas, etc are fine. I just don't see to do well with dark beers....

I'd let it age for another 4-6 weeks. pull a small sample once a week and watch the progression. the change will take longer the colder your beer is.

8 ounces of 40%ABV vodka in 5 gallons of wort/beer is not going to change the ABV noticeably.

For reference, there are 640 ounces in 5 gallons, so 8 ounces at 40%ABV is going to have a very minimal effect on the overall ABV. I'm not going to do the math, but it might move your 6.5% up to 6.6% at the most. Vodka is made up of mainly water and ethanol, which is why it's the preferred spirit for these kinds of things, so it shouldn't add a "vodka" flavor, even in higher volumes.

It must be the beer being young still then. I used Safale US-04 for the yeast which was the first time I've ever used it. I'm not sure what I should be expecting from that strain. You guys made me feel better that it's more than likely not the vodka, but something else. I'll let this thing age for a while and hope for the best :)

I would let it smooth out, I don't think that much vodka in 5G is going to have a huge impact, unless it was crappy vodka, then it could hurt it.

Ever play vodka roulette? It's fairly difficult to notice a shot of vodka in a glass of Negra Modela. That's more than 10 times the concentration in a much less flavorful beer.

If you post your recipe I'm sure somebody can help, but it is definitely recipe, yeast or water driven, not vodka.

Here's the recipe:

11 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.0 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 90L (90.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.9 %
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.9 %
12.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.2 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop 5 17.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 4.3 IBUs
2.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 7 -
6.00 Items Vanilla Bean (Secondary 5.0 days) Spice 8 -

Mash In Add 21.32 qt of water at 161.9 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.06875gal, 3.66000gal) of 168.0 F water

SG was 1.070 Final was 1.020.

Recipe looks tasty to me.

I doubt it's process driven either or you would be noticing these off flavors in your other styles.

Could be young but you said you have not been able to brew a good dark beer. I doubt you dumped old ones while they were young.

I would check into mash ph and water chemistry. Only thing that makes sense to me why your dark beers are turning out consistently worse than your light beers

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Have you found commerical dark beers that you enjoy? Not everybody enjoys all styles. That's why I have never even thought of making an IPA!!!

How is the vanilla flavor? That is a lot of beans. I used one fresh bean on a three gallon batch (soaked in bourbon and then into the secondary for a couple of weeks) and I thought the vanilla was overpowering. I can't imagine 6 beans.

I love porters. I was trying to mimic a recipe that I had at a restaurant...

The vanilla flavor really isn't there yet believe it or not. I barely taste it, but I think the flavors are still blending. I wanted a heavy vanilla flavor in it, so that's what I ended up with. I'm hoping I do get a flavor from it, but so far nothing...

If you really want vanilla flavor make sure you get your beans from a spice shop. They should be soft and sticky. Then be careful on how many you use.

Back