I think I screwed up with the racking arm.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todes

Reaction score
Hello, I´ve been using the SS brewbucket for some batches and everything has gone ok. I usually leave the beer fermenting for 2 weeks, than I Cold Crash and on the next day I put some gelatin and leave it at 32°-33°F for 2 more days. After that I keg the beer. But This time I think I screw up, I didn´t paid attention on the position on the racking arm and racked the beer from the bottom. At first I tought the beer was near frozen because I the sample had that look. And didn´t paid atention to it and just dumped it.After a glass of unclear beer it started being clear so I didn´t mind. But as the fermenter was been drained I noticed it :(. The racking arm was draing the fermenter from the bottom, I corrected it but almost half of the fermenter had been drained. I tried the first glass of clear beer that I racked and it got some yeast flavor. I usually let the beer carbonating in the keg for about 9-10 days and bottle after that. Is there a way to fix it? It is a Blonde Ale so the yeast flavor is a :no::no:.

I was thinking on adding gelatin in the keg, leave it for a few days in the chest, getting the first glass of beer of the keg or till it gets clear and Carbonate after that, what do you think?

So you racked a lot of trub from your fermentor into the keg? I would carbonate as normal and expect the first 1/2 gallon or so to be cloudy. Give it a few days in the keg at colder than serving temperature to crash some more, and then I expect after a few pints you will have drawn off all the tub in the keg.

So you racked a lot of trub from your fermentor into the keg? I would carbonate as normal and expect the first 1/2 gallon or so to be cloudy. Give it a few days in the keg at colder than serving temperature to crash some more, and then I expect after a few pints you will have drawn off all the tub in the keg.
My concern is that the beer on the first clear glass tasted a lot like yeast. I am afraid that all the beer tastes like that.

My concern is that the beer on the first clear glass tasted a lot like yeast. I am afraid that all the beer tastes like that.

No, the rest of the beer will be fine.

There's nothing to worry about unless you move the keg, which will rouse the yeast off of the bottom. Still it will not make the rest of the keg cloudy unless you drop or roll it. THen the clearing process will be back to square 1. As previously mentioned/skirted around, the only yeast you should pull will come from the yeast that is closest to the dip tube inlet. The rest of the yeast remains where it is. It will not "avalanche" into the newly cleared area.

There is 1 other thing that takes just a couple of minutes to do that will insure your beer is clear. That is: dump the keg pressure, remove the dip tube and give it a slight bend at the bottom to get the inlet a little higher off of the bottom of the keg, sanitize the dip tube, assemble the keg and re-pressurize it.

You can add gelatin if you want. If you have a few days before wanting to tap the keg then that would probably be your best option.

Leave keg cold several days, draw off a pint or two until it runs clear, hook up liquid out to liquid out of an empty sanitized keg and push to another keg leaving sediment behind.

Hi, I just put gelatin today and was expecting to grab the first glasses of it from the keg, then leave it there carbonating for one more week.

Latest posts

Back