I think I messed up my first batch??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neubreuer

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So I took a class about a month ago on homebrewing and it looked easy enough so I made my first batch. I went through the whole process but when it came to bottling, I didn't add the priming sugar to the batch and went ahead and bottled everything. So my next question is this: Can I still save this batch?

I have let this batch of a blonde ale sit for 14 days and bottled it 2 days ago so everything was done in order minus the priming sugar. When I took the class and even the instructions given, they didn't mention adding priming sugar but I have to take the blame for not doing full research on bottling. Any help, if at all possible, is appreciated!

Thanks

This happened to a friend of mine on his second batch (he was excited and a little intoxicated when it happened).

Instead of boiling sugar, and trying to measure out how much sugar to add, go out and buy carb sugar tablets from your local homebrew shop. Make sure they are all in one piece, and not ground to dust in the bag.

Open each bottle, and using sanitized tweezers, add 1 tablet to each bottle. Spray some star san over the bottle, and cap with a new (sanitized) lid. Do this until you are done.

And remember: Relax. Have a homebrew :)

Place it in a warm spot for 3 weeks and maybe you might have a carbonated beer. But I agree with the above poster too.

Thanks guys for the information. I will go later today to grab some tablets to drop in. From doing a little research, it seems that coopers is the best to go with. Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks

Back