I think i killed it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldman100

Reaction score
OK. I had to remove the airlock from the fermentor and install a blow off tube.
when i was ready to reinstall the air lock the only liquid i had for it was hydrogen peroxide.
When replacing the lock on top of the bucket something happened and a small amount of peroxide went into the bucket.(it is a Irish Stout been in the tank for about7 days).
Will it live or did I kill it

I think it will be fine as long as the amount of peroxide was minimal.I use water in my airlocks. works well for me.

You dont have water? Thats all I ever use......you dont need sanitizer in your airlock.

Hydrogen Peroxide is damn near water, and if a little squirts into a five gallon batch, the PPM would be so small that I can't imagine it would do anything at all.

Of course, I'm no chemist, so I could be wrong.

I wouldn't worry about it. Store-bought versions are very weak dilutions to begin with, so dropping 1-2 oz of 3% H202 solution into 5 gallons of wort gives you less than 0.001% solution H202. That's basically nothing. Also, hydrogen peroxide is not very stable, so over the rest of primary it should decompose quite quickly. It decomposes into water and O2 gas, further lowering the concentration (likely to zero).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide#Decomposition

Depending on how much is in there, it might cause a bit of oxidation to the beer. But still probably less than would occur during racking/bottling, so I wouldn't worry much about that either.

I use Tequila in mine, a little for me, a little for the airlock, a little more for me.....

hydrogen peroxide is H2O2 in your beer a small amount will quickly degrade into H20 a more stable molecule. the minuscule amount of oxygen release will probably gas of with other gasses leaving the carboy or dissolve into the beer and most likely be grabbed up by the yeast as oxygen is a key component in their cell walls. That said there is no good reason to use hydrogen peroxide in your air lock H202 when exposed to light will decompose rather quickly into water and free oxygen that gasses off. I use starsan solution in mine, but you could use cheap liqueur or even just tap water.

Latest posts

Back