I think I just made a NOOB error and need help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatman

Reaction score
Made my first all grain batch yesterday and hit all the marks dead on with the recipe. Cooled wort down to 72ish and added yeast. I did not realize I needed to do anything to the yeast before hand. I took it out of the fridge (white labs vial) I think it sat out in room temp for an hour and just dumped it in. Will it still work? Or can I fix it. Its been fermenting for 17 hours....

Thanks!

It should be ok, 1 hour probaly wasn't enough to warm the vial up from fridge to room temp but I doubt it will be catastrophic. Do you have any fermentation signs yet, like a krausen layer or air lock activity? If not just wait awhile, fermentation can take 24 to 72 hours to start, especially without a yeast starter.

I just checked this morning and I did not see any "bubbling" on air lock and that was at the 12 hour mark. It was clumpy when I poured it in. I feel so noobie, even though I am, but everything was dead on...lol. Till that point. My OG was 1.071, recipe was 1.073. So I was right there. Looking at the pail I did not see foaming or anything. Should I open the pail and look? Give it a good shaking?

I just checked this morning and I did not see any "bubbling" on air lock and that was at the 12 hour mark. It was clumpy when I poured it in. I feel so noobie, even though I am, but everything was dead on...lol. Till that point. My OG was 1.071, recipe was 1.073. So I was right there. Looking at the pail I did not see foaming or anything. Should I open the pail and look? Give it a good shaking?

Are you in the proper range of fermentation temperature? If so, then just leave it alone.

I pitched yeast yesterday and checked my fermenter this morning. No, obvious signs of activity, but I'm not worried. I'll probably check it again tonight and if there's still nothing...I'm still not going to worry too much.

Love the quote shooter! The recipe says to ferment at 63, I am between 63-66, depending when the compressor kicks on. Its in a converted chest freezer.

Thanks all, I feel much better now, and know better for this weekend for my next batch.

When should I worry?

Love the quote shooter! The recipe says to ferment at 63, I am between 63-66, depending when the compressor kicks on. Its in a converted chest freezer.

Thanks all, I feel much better now, and know better for this weekend for my next batch.

When should I worry?

You should be fine. I usually check every twelve hours or so for the first 48 hours. If I can see signs in the airlock or evidence of a krausen I know something's happening in there, but, even if I can't, I don't assume it isn't. Usually somewhere around 48 hours, if I've seen no signs of activity, I might take a quick gravity sample. Usually, I discover that the beer is fermenting and, sometimes, is already done fermenting. If you reach 72 hours and there has been no MEASURED change in the gravity you need to start thinking about trying a few things like swirling the fermenter and raising the temperature a little or repitching new yeast.

Made my first all grain batch yesterday and hit all the marks dead on with the recipe. Cooled wort down to 72ish and added yeast. I did not realize I needed to do anything to the yeast before hand. I took it out of the fridge (white labs vial) I think it sat out in room temp for an hour and just dumped it in. Will it still work? Or can I fix it. Its been fermenting for 17 hours....

Thanks!

What are you suposed to do with it?? the only thing I did was shake it.

I read postings on some people growing more in a tube, or keeping it out in room temp longer. My ******* just took it out, shook, and poured.

Thnaks for all the postings. I will monitor over the next few days and decide from there.

If I don't have time for a yeast starter, I at least like to take the vials out of the fridge 3 hours before pitching so that they can warm up to around the same temp as the wort.

The vials are supposed to be pitchable meaning you don't need to make a starter. I've been trying to make starters from dry yeast to save money lately but I used to use the vials. A few times I did the same thing on accident and forgot to take it out a few hours before pitching like you are supposed to but everything turned out fine and usually still had krausen forming within 24 hours so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Yeah, I got paranoid for nothing, the yeasties are in the middle of a smorgasbord right now and I am so proud of them :)

What are you suposed to do with it?? the only thing I did was shake it.

With liquid yeast you should make a starter to build up nice healthy yeast numbers. Check out the pitch rate calculator at mrmalty.com. The vials are woefully under populated with yeast for a 5 gallon batch, but they will make beer - it probably won't be the best it can be though.

Back