I think I have my first dumper!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, about a week after I made that steam beer, I made my IPA. Last night I opened it up to dry hop it. It was ok by smell, but the hydrometer sample was very cloudy and the taste right now is bland. It's nothing like my IPA. I went ahead and threw the dryhops in, but I think this may be heading towards infection, too.

This batched used a different washed yeast, different ingredients, etc. but of course the same gear.

I threw out my autosiphon, and all my plastic. I bought two new ale pails and lids, airlocks, and tubing. I'll reboil my aeration stone, and throw away that aquarium tubing and replace. I have a replacement autosiphon.

I'll brew on Wednesday next week, using dry yeast and the new plastic gear. Hopefully that solves my problem! :mad::mad:

Yoop, sorry for you loss

JDS, I respectively disagree and sum it up with two word...

Neighbor-Beer

nope alchy friend beer works better. they'll drink anything with alcohol in it.

yooper, really sorry to hear about your infection and that it hit 2 batches of yours. i still don't know what caused that nasty one i had at the brewparty but i haven't had it happen since(granted it's only been that batch and one other since discovery and one prior but still). i'm kinda partial to it being xiangs water supply and me being half toasted brewing there. it could also be the yeast used was well past its date from washing by me. meh they happen and i'm happy since it was my first in almost 4yr of brewing.

YooperBrew:

First off, thanks for the time and energy that you devote to this forum and this hobby.

This thread has changed my perspective on sanitation and infections. I'm careful about sanitation, but I can do better. Thanks for sharing...

I'm getting back in the brewing saddle, so to speak.

Hugh_Jass sent me a new autosiphon, I've bought all new tubing and I'll be using dry yeast. My grain is still in the basement, and I'm heating the water now.

I bought Iodophor to change up my sanitation.

I still have had the guts to sample my IPA, which I brewed on 11/16, to see if it's infected or not. I'll do that today, too.

I'm getting back in the brewing saddle, so to speak.

Hugh_Jass sent me a new autosiphon, I've bought all new tubing and I'll be using dry yeast. My grain is still in the basement, and I'm heating the water now.

I bought Iodophor to change up my sanitation.

I still have had the guts to sample my IPA, which I brewed on 11/16, to see if it's infected or not. I'll do that today, too.

Hey,

I don't know if I would've thrown out all of that gear Yoop. I think that unless it's got some scratches that can harbor some nasties, it would be ok. I guess what's done is done and I'm sure that the adjustments you've made with your equipment and so on will be more than enough for you to continue making great brew. I've brewed dozens of batches with Iodophor, the racking cane I got with my original kit years ago, and the ale pale that I got years ago. For some reason, I don't think that your infection was due to your equipment. Instead, I think it had to do with that yeast starter.

RDWHAHB,
J

Hey,

I don't know if I would've thrown out all of that gear Yoop. I think that unless it's got some scratches that can harbor some nasties, it would be ok. I guess what's done is done and I'm sure that the adjustments you've made with your equipment and so on will be more than enough for you to continue making great brew. I've brewed dozens of batches with Iodophor, the racking cane I got with my original kit years ago, and the ale pale that I got years ago. For some reason, I don't think that your infection was due to your equipment. Instead, I think it had to do with that yeast starter.

RDWHAHB,
J

Maybe. But all new tubing cost me under $7 so it was worth it! My buckets were pretty trashed- I've made many batches of beer and wine with them (well over 200) so it was time anyway. The bucket made a very nice turkey brining bucket for Thanksgiving, so it was ok.

I am now suspecting a SS strainer that I sometimes use. I won't use it today.

I just tried the IPA. It's not great. It's not obviously infected (yet?) but it's not my usual beer. It's a bit cloudy which is very rare for my beers, and the taste isn't great. There is a ton of hop flavor from all of the hops and the dryhopping so I'll go ahead and keg it and keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully I won't infect a keg or my beer lines! I think I'll keep a picnic tap on that keg, just in case.

Back