I Suck at Whirpooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael.berta

Reaction score
How long do you all whirlpool for to separate out the break material?

I've been using an oxygenation wand for 5 or 10 minutes or so after the wort is chilled. Then I cover and let it sit for about 30 minutes. My result has not been a nice trub cone at the bottom. I find that the break material has only sank half way and I still get a bunch of this crap in my fermenters. also the oxygenation wand creates quite a bit of foam and I a worry that I might be over oxygenating my wort.

Should I use a spoon instead like in Whirlpooling - Home Brewing Wiki and just let it sit longer? If s how long? 30 minutes should do the trick.

Help!

Mike

I think the oxygenation wand is much too thin, so it's probably not creating much of a whirlpool.

I use a paddle and stir for about a minute or so, trying to get a nice consistent circular motion going. Then I wait for about 10 minutes, just to be sure that it's all settled. Works great.

Ditch the wand and use a spoon or paddle. Hope that helps.

I just switched from an immersion chiller to counter flow. While using th IC I never got a good wirlpool. The two batches that I used the cfc on got a great cone on them.

I guess the ic breaks the trub cone up in some way.

Okie dokie. I'll switch to a spoon and not create the whirpool until after the wort is chilled and give it another shot. thanks

To create something like this:

I start cooling with the IC without circulation, as my pump can not handle boiling temperature.
When the temperatue gets below 80 degrees, I start circulating the wort for the rest of the chill which takes maybe 30min.
When the temperature is around 25-30 degrees I start start pumping to the fermenter. I have two valves after the pump so that ~90% is continually returned to the boiler to maintain the whirlpool, and the remaining 10% is pumped to the fermenter.
When the boiler is almost empty, I cut off the whirlpool to not disturb the trub, and send 100% to the fermenter.

Was that what you asked ?

Yes, but I don't have a pump. Maybe I should get one. Others seem to have success with them...

Others will probably rip on my system as a potential for infection, but I use an IC. Cool it down to 70-75, whatever, by stirring the wort around the IC coils with a sanitized spoon. Take the IC out. Move the kettle to my basement. Take another sanitized SS spoon, and give the whole thing a good swirl. Put the lid on and let it settle for 15-20 minutes (while I sanitize the carboy, etc.). Then, I aerate with a small venturi tube as I rack into the carboy.

Back