I should RDWHAHB but....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosox

Reaction score
After planting both of my rhizomes in seperate half whiskey barrers (they're not the real oak ones, but other ones made to look like it) spent $80 on the two of them, and set up my whole support scheme....I was told that drainage could be an issue. The pots do not look like they have any drainage in place....There's about 50 lbs of soil in each pot, so they're fairly big...and already today, just one day after I planted them, and despite the freezing rain and overcast conditions the past 48 hours, my Mt. Hoods are sprouting a little hoppy bine.

So what should I do? Should I just leave it and see what happens? Should I water them less and let the rain do the job since it doesn't drain? Should I drill holes on the lower sides while the roots haven't grown yet and cover them up with plugs or uncover them when they need to drain? Or do I have to replant them...

I need to RDWHAHB I think

Do you see any water around the base when you water them? You could probably drill a few holes in the bottom if drainage is a problem. You shouldn't have to plug any holes you drill as long as the holes are not huge.

Well it's been raining off an on the 48 hours since I planted them, so everything's wet/ But the buckets look pretty water tight. I don't see how any would get out of them. I would drill the holes except I would think it's better to do them now, rather then wait and risk drilling into a root.

Well it's been raining off an on the 48 hours since I planted them, so everything's wet/ But the buckets look pretty water tight. I don't see how any would get out of them. I would drill the holes except I would think it's better to do them now, rather then wait and risk drilling into a root.

If you want to drill now it won't hurt. If you can lift them up on cinder blocks or something and drill on the bottom I think that would work best. If not just try to get as low as possible on the sides.

I think you would be fine if you did hit the root by chance. I took a shovel to my mt hood and cut off another piece to plant in another pot. They both look strong and healthy.

Hmm the cinder blocks might be a good idea. I might have to try that. I'll just see how it goes for now. But if in the next few weeks/months I notice that the water is pooling on the soil I'll think of drilling some holes.

I say "drill baby drill" on this one. Don't wait until it's bogged down with water and risk root-rot/infection/etc. I've poured out some nasty water before from pots that didn't drain well after the plants keeled over!

Good luck!

I say "drill baby drill" on this one. Don't wait until it's bogged down with water and risk root-rot/infection/etc. I've poured out some nasty water before from pots that didn't drain well after the plants keeled over!

Yep, just use a decent size drill bit like a 3/8-1/2" and drill em.

I drilled 5 holes into mine and they drained fine. The soil was very compact and wet when I took it out 2 years later (root bound like crazy) but it worked. Just be prepared for the tap roots to grow out those holes.

Yeah that's what I've heard, that the roots grow out of them. I'd have to keep cutting them to make sure they don't do that.

Back