Think I got scammed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lacasse93

Reaction score
Bought hop seeds off ebay. They’re supposed to be magnum but I’ve only ever grown from rhizomes before. Do seedlings look bizarre for awhile or did I get scammed? (Ignore the dog fur in the pot. Trying to scare bunnies off)

Attachments

• IMG_2238.jpeg
    IMG_2238.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2239.jpeg
    IMG_2239.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2240.jpeg
    IMG_2240.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
That is a plant from the mustard family growing in that pot. Would it be possible to post a pic of these seeds?
Hops are typically cultivated from rhizomes, which is a chunk of it's root system.
It's not really common practice to cultivate from seed outside of breeding programs.

That is a plant from the mustard family growing in that pot. Would it be possible to post a pic of these seeds?
Hops are typically cultivated from rhizomes, which is a chunk of it's root system.
It's not really common practice to cultivate from seed outside of breeding programs.
I have a couple rhizomes up and going. Was attempting to get males to breed with those established hop plants.

No pictures of the seeds themselves but this was the link.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165361771150?hash=item268054628e:g:8mQAAOSwf89hTxnw

If you have any seeds left, take a picture of them next to the package/packing list and plant them all. Take pictures of what grows from them.

I am sure I speak for all of us when I say I love a ketchup and mustard beer as much as the next guy but is there anywhere where I can get REAL hop seeds? I would love a male to try and breed some new hops for fun.

I’ve crossed peppers in the past so thought it may be fun with hops.

Same here. I brewed one last summer and plan another this summer. It's a great refresher. Easy to brew, too. Just smoked wheat malt, some noble hops and any neutral ale yeast.
I was slightly intimidated, having brewed other rauchbiers, where a little smoke goes a long way. There is another thread for 100% peat malt, and I brewed 2G of that also. First sip hits you like a coal mine, but after that it is not disagreeable.

And so in my first foray into piwo I made two 5 gallon batches: 1 with 100% eichenrauch wiezenmalz and 1 with 50 wheat malt and 50% smoked. 100% oak smoke is delightful! I think the key is the low OG/low ABV, as well as the delicately oak smoked quality.

I was slightly intimidated, having brewed other rauchbiers, where a little smoke goes a long way. There is another thread for 100% peat malt, and I brewed 2G of that also. First sip hits you like a coal mine, but after that it is not disagreeable.

And so in my first foray into piwo I made two 5 gallon batches: 1 with 100% eichenrauch wiezenmalz and 1 with 50 wheat malt and 50% smoked. 100% oak smoke is delightful! I think the key is the low OG/low ABV, as well as the delicately oak smoked quality.

Peated malts can be a bit overpowering, and an acquired taste. However, the oak smoked wheat makes for a nice beer, even at 100%.

The piwo grodziskie I brewed had a very mild smoke flavor. Even friends who "hate smoke beers" tried it and enjoyed it. And <4%, it's easy to drink a bunch of them.

"...you can't grow hops from seeds in any usable way. The plant that grows will be nothing like the female plant they came from."

From personal experience, I can say that certain crosses can produce offspring that have VERY similar oil profiles as the maternal parent. Brewing quality may be all over the board but in my experience, a few have made beers quite comparable with the primary characteristics of their mother (ex: mom was dank/resinous with lots of citrus - kids dank/resinous with SOME citrus but heavier in other areas like floral, fruit etc, still very interesting and drinkable). I think Jason Perrault and the other hop breeders out there may take offense to your statement, lol!

It sorta looks like cressleaf groundsel. It could be that the weed seed was in your dirt and the hop never came.

That's definitely not a hop plant but even more importantly, you can't grow hops from seeds in any usable way. The plant that grows will be nothing like the female plant they came from.
Where would the fun be if the offspring were identical to the parents?

I have a couple rhizomes up and going. Was attempting to get males to breed with those established hop plants.

No pictures of the seeds themselves but this was the link.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165361771150?hash=item268054628e:g:8mQAAOSwf89hTxnw
eBay and Amazon seed ads are mostly scams, unfortunately. Some seed retailers do sell hop seeds, but that's fairly infrequent. My first experience with hops was with these, based out of Ontario.

Where would the fun be if the offspring were identical to the parents?
Growing a hop with known characteristics so you can use them to make beer styles you like is pretty fun. The problem with growing from seed is that you won't know if the plant will even product a usable hop until year 2. Then there's the issue of sorting through the male and female plants.

Growing a hop with known characteristics so you can use them to make beer styles you like is pretty fun. The problem with growing from seed is that you won't know if the plant will even product a usable hop until year 2. Then there's the issue of sorting through the male and female plants.
That's what vegetative propagation, such as with rhizomes or stem cuttings, is for.

Back