I should be kicked out of the forum for doing this...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dxgord

Reaction score
After racking my guava mead (Which tastes awesome) into a secondary, I found myself looking into my primary at a large orange yeast cake. I always feel bad throwing out yeast so I decided to use it. My fiance' and I combed the pantry for anything fermentable to add to the yeast just for fun.

What we came up with:

4 single serving cinnamon apple sauces
1/2 box dried currants
1/4 box prunes
1 cup orange juice
3 cups cranberry apple juice
2 pounds sugar
2 large handfuls of stolen honey packets from WAWA (about 50 9g packets)

I brought it all up to 170 and stuck it in a blender. Cooled and added to the fermenter with the yeast cake, leftover sediment and enough water to bring to 1.5 gallons.

Its bubbling happily...

Am I going to die if I drink this?

"Kitchen Sink Mead"

(both what you added and where it might be poured down)

Then again, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take...

LOL Odds are its going down the sink. I did not realize there was a term for this nonsense brewing. We will see.

Suggestions for anything else to throw into the fermenter? I'm all ears. I figure I've gone this far might as well take it to the limit.

You know, I did something not too different last month. I made a porter and dumped a cider on the yeast cake. Tried one of them last night and it ain't half bad. Nice dry (albeit very sour) cider. I imagine a few months in the bottles and it will mellow out quite nicely.

I just knew that S-33 yeast had it in it!

You deserve a reward!!!

I made something recently from a pound of light DME, some honey, some spruce tips and ale yeast, my OG was way to high so I cut it in half with water and added a couple ounces of dextrose to bring it back up to a beer like OG. Anyway, so far it tastes like a very cidery brew but I will let it mellow and go back to it. Why not, it was all going to be tossed anyway. The yeast was left over frome some kits I brewed back in the dark ages (last year).

I love experiments....

I also have a concoction made from 1 can (1.36 L) of Pineapple Juice and topped to 1 gallon with apple juice and some wine yeast. OG was in teh wine category, so we'lll see. I read that Apple Juice and Pineapple together made a decent wine or cider so I said "why not?" The pineapple was left by a house guest and was just sitting there... The apple was left over from making Ed Wort's Apflewein.

I think in order to answer your question, we need to know your OG, expected FG, and the yeast strain, and your fermentation temps....

Just kidding...I think it sounds awesome! Take good notes...who knows, it might be something you would want to repeat!

My second (current) batch of Ed Wort's Apfelwein was thrown in on top of the last (first) yeast cake. I added some energizer and some nutrient to kick the yeasties along and I'm near ready to bottle it now. It may taste great like the first batch or it may taste like crap but I'll chalk it up to learning nonetheless. That is part of the fun in this hobby/obsession, the experiments and the creativity.

GTG

Sounds a bit like "Yeah Soup". I think the currents and cranberry will dominate the flavor.

This sounds pretty interesting, and it should be drinkable I would think.

Next time (hehehehe), leave out the OJ - I've heard fermented OJ smells and tastes like baby vommit.

Back