I screwed up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
Ok, I admit it. I screwed up. Pulling out the kettle after a hiatus of a couple of years to do a pumpkin ale. I put the spices in at 60 minutes instead of 15 as called for in the recipe. I've resigned myself to adding another load of spice. Should I put it in now?( i pitched the yeast last night) or wait until i rack to the keg and add them there? The batch hasn't started yet, so this is probably my last opportunity to give them a vigorous stir without risking oxidation.

That! ^

IMO, spicing a Pumpkin Ale is a fine line between just right and too much. I'd err on the low side and if needed, correct with a tincture at packaging after tasting a good sample. You could even dope a keg later if the pours are a bit underwhelming, or spike the glass. But you can never remove if you added too much.

BTW, welcome back to brewing!
Ordering more grain on the group buy?

A tincture: are you talking about removing a quart of beer, boiling 15 minutes with the spices and then adding back to the fermenter after cooling? or something else?

Soak the spices in some flavorless liquor like vodka or everclear for a week or more then add the flavored liquor to the beer “to taste” at packaging time.

OP I hope yours turns out better then mine. Went from 1.058 to around 1.003 in 7 days. Hopefully it turns out good. I did the spice in last 5 min . I would think boiling for 60 min would boil off the spice. I doesnt hurt to wait and see though . You can always add .

+1 to the tincture. For my holiday ales (I've done two) I added my spices to an empty bottle about 1/3 full of alcohol (vodka for one, Capn Morgans for last years, I can recommend it), capped it, and left it on the kitchen counter for a week, shaking it up every time I saw it. Added it a day before packaging, and got plenty of flavor from both.

Back